My Son Is A Daydreamer

Throughout every school year, DH & I remind our son (5th grade this year) to 1) listen to the teacher and not daydream, and 2) ignore the kids in surrounding seats who want to talk when the teacher is talking.

How can I convince him to listen to the teacher and not daydream? How can I convince him to not fall prey to surrounding kids who want to talk which end up getting him in trouble? How does a kid avoid distractions, and instead concentrate on the teacher and schoolwork?

Is there such a website that offers this kind of advice?

I'm thinking of asking the teacher (during meet & greet) to surround him by girls, or seat him in the very front row, to avoid distractions.

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 10:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in

• Asking the teacher to put him in the front is a good idea. It's really up to him though. He needs consequences for when he chooses to not pay attention.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• could he have ADHD?? I know kids with ADHD tend to "daydream" are very smart kids, are easily distracted by anything friends, a bird outside, someone walking in the hall at school. Not all kids with ADHD are hyper
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Maybe talk to his teacher or even a Dr... for advice.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:41 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I was, and still am, a total daydreamer. Can't help it. I would just suggest to keep encouraging him to do his best and if he is really distracted see if the teacher can place him next to kids that aren't disruptive.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with being a daydreamer. I have always been a daydreamer. Just because you are one, doesn't mean you want to get in on the conversations around you. The teacher should put notes on the board (I would be concerned if they don't.) and you can always read your school books.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 4:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Also, daydreamers can concentrate when they need to. They don't need someone telling them to.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 4:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We had him tested for ADHD and for dyslexia (for reading comprehension problems) and he has neither. I will talk to his teacher about it during meet & greet, and DH & I will continue to reinforce in him the importance of paying attention when the teacher is talking.
    flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

Next question in
For moms who work while their kids are in school.

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
regret