chores for 8, 7, and 5 year old

this summer we stopped having the kids do their chores on a rugular basis and i need to get a new system in place. my goal is to have the 7 and 8 year old each have 15 mins of chores each school day and 30 minutes on the weekend. the 5 year old i would like 10 minutes on the weekdays, 20 on the weekend. any suggestions would be nice. i also would like suggestions for a reward system, but i also have a 2 year old and a 2 month old to take care of so it needs to be simple.

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 10:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think the older ones can help you do things like take out the trash, unload the dishwasher, put clothes in the washer and dryer, set the table, but I honestly think that all of your children are too young to give much responsibility for doing chores on their own. I know there are exceptions to every rule, but even 8-year olds have a hard time staying on task unless they have constant guidance. I had better luck teaching them to be my helpers. It also affords some one-on-one time with each child in a busy household where that kind of time may be very hard to find. I think when we expect too much of children too soon, it causes them to not like doing chores whereas doing them with Mom is actually fun.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:20 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think they will be able to stay on task for 10-15 minutes and a little more time on the weekends. What a great system!! My 7 year old vacums, washes windows, puts away clean dishes, gathers dirty clothes, and wipes counters. cleans her room, and makes her bed (even if it is not perfect, I can tell she tries) It is such a big help to me. Her reward is getting to play the wii for 1 hour, playing uno with everyone, or going swimming.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My girls are the same ages. I don't go by number of minutes, I go by things I know they can do. My 8yo can do dishes, and does do them sometimes. 7 & 8 both put their own laundry away, 5yo helps put hers away (I sort it out and tell her which drawer it goes in). They're all able to clean their own rooms, 7 & 8 yo also vacuum. They all help with dinner table clean-up. Your older ones should be able to dust anything not terribly precious (no glass heirlooms, lol, but basic furniture stuff once a week), make beds, help with dishes.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My 3 are teens now. We never scheduled chores by minutes, we scheduled chores by tasks. They were (and are) responsible for completing the assigned task. They could either choose to work efficiently or drag it out by working slowly, but either way they needed to get the task completed.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 9:11 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• im not saying they only work that time no matter what. i am saying that if they work at an ok pace, it would take them that long. they would have a list of things that they would have to do.
    happy-go-lucky

Comment by happy-go-lucky (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Aug. 6, 2010