UFO reporting BANNED by Churchill so as not to cause mass panic, correct response?

LONDON (AFP) – British wartime prime minister Winston Churchill banned the reporting for 50 years of an alleged UFO incident because of fears it could create mass panic, according to claims made public on Thursday.

The grandson of an RAF officer who was one of Churchill's personal bodyguards wrote to Britain's Ministry of Defence in 1999 about the alleged incident.

His account and Churchill's claimed reaction featured in documents released on Thursday from Britain's National Archives.

According to this account, the man's grandfather overheard Churchill discussing the alleged incident with US wartime General Dwight Eisenhower.

Do people have a right to KNOW??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100805/en_afp/britainhistorychurchillufooffbeat

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• He's not the only one you know. Yeah, heck, people use any reason to panic.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:02 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I think at the time it was what they believed needed to be done to avoid mass panic, but for current time I think it would be an overreaction.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:34 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Didn't a lot of people believe Orson Welles radio broadcast narration of the novel "The War of the Worlds" cause people to panic?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think at the time it was what they believed needed to be done to avoid mass panic, but for current time I think it would be an overreaction.

Exactly...Different Times....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I believe this would panic the people. I believe they are real. If word got out,people would be freaking out,hiding in their basements,fleeing towns,and stocking up arsenals.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

yes
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

So if it turned out to be a threat, don't we have a right to KNOW so we can TRY and protect ourselves?
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Aug. 5, 2010