how long should he sit on the toilet?

i am starting potting training my 2 1/2 year old and having him sit on the toilet. when i put him on there how long should he sit? (we arn't doing a potty chair, just having him sit on the toilet)

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 10:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Only keep him there as long as you are both happy and not frustrated. Maybe pick a book to take in the bathroom and read that to him or sing some fun songs. I'd shoot for 5 to 10 minutes, but if it gets frustrating for either of you before that, stop - you don't want to make it a battle. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:40 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• 10 minutes max. After that, just get him down and try again 15-30 minutes later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would say between 5 - 10 mins, you don't want them to start thinking it's a punishment. When they do either pee or poo you should act like it's the best thing ever and high five them and just make a big deal out of it so they think it's game lol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I agree with above, keep it short. It would be fun to read or sing songs. God luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• thanks. we have been reading a book and when the book was done getting off. about 5 minutes. so far he hasn't peed or pooped, but we only started two days ago.
    happy-go-lucky

Comment by happy-go-lucky (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• very short..not even a minute..if at all..have you tried the 3 day method? It's accident based and doesnt require you put your toddler on the potty. its fab if you follow it to the tee
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Hang in there! My son didn't actually pee in the potty until day 7 of wearing underwear all day long, and then it was only because he started laughing and accidentally did it. I gave him high fives and we celebrated. Within a few days he was doing it all the time, and even initiating trips to the bathroom. 3 weeks later he still hasn't pooped in the toilet, but he's got the peeing thing down great.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2010