How do you break the news to school aged kids that you are moving?

I have a couple of pretty sentimental kids and have just gotten news that we will be having to relocate. I am waiting to find out the terms of relo before telling the kids what is going to happen (still not offiical since we don't have it in writing and I don't want them telling anyone until we know that the offer is acceptable). I know it's going to be an issue for them as they both have made a lot of friends. DS is going into second grade and DD will be going into Kindergarten. I am not so worried about DD as I am about DS. How do you break this kind of news (which is good for the family unit) to a sentimental kid?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:49 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hmmm...well I think in this day and age it's a lot easier than it was years ago...with the internet and social networking sites, people can stay in touch with old friends a lot easier than they used to.

That said, I got this idea from a mom who son and family were also being relocated. She asked all of the parents of her son's classmates and neighborhood friends to give her some pictures of themselves with and without her son, so she could put together an electronic slide show! She also went around town snapping digital pictures of his favorite places, activities, teachers, schools, etc., that she added to the slide show, so he could reflect on them whenever he got homesick!

Some of the kids wrote personal letters which she incorporated into a special scrapbook that included only things/images from the city and state they had once lived in. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:58 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I always just told my daughter and then talked about the exciting things I knew about the new school or town we'd be moving to. I wouldn't say too much in the initial conversation and give her a little time and space to let it soak in. When she had a little time we'd start talkiing about how she would decorate her new room, things we'd get to try/do/see in the new place, and things like that.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My parent just told us. They moved every 10 months or so so we just got used to it. I really like Lori's idea.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You give them the pros first make a big deal at how exciting this will be, children adapt very quickly.

Answer by older at 10:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yeah, normally. DS 'puts his memories' in everything around him (his words, not mine). DD won't be so freaked out, she will be bummed to be leaving her friends, but she will be easy to redirect. DS is my bigger concern.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• That's a really nice idea LK! I think DS would love that. We won't be going so far that we will never come back and visit our friends, but we are going far enough that it won't happen that often. I think the hardest part will be the fact that it will happen during the school year. Considering that school starts in less than three weeks and we still don't have a written offer - it's safe to say that they won't be starting at a new school.

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I think he would really appreciate something like that. I might just make a digital scrapbook for him with scanned photos of his friends and stuff.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Aug. 5, 2010