• In the Spotlight:

My 4 year old son has been peeing on the floor?

My son just turned 4 in july and has been potty trained for pee but not poop. My concern right now is yesterday and today he has peed on the floo. Once in the livingroom rug, then just alittle while ago in the hall right near the bathroom. It makes me worried why he is doing this. I ask him and he started to laugh, I never yell at him I talked to him about it and it took a bit to get his attention but he said I go on the potty not on the floor. Does anyone have any ideas of why this may be happening?

caseyowen

Asked by caseyowen at 11:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Has there been any kind of changes on his life? It can be small even small. My son did that when he was 4. My husband had left us and he didn't understand why his daddy left him. so he acted out by using the bathroom on the floor or in his toy box. It took a while for him to stop doing it. He still hasn't gotten over his daddy leaving him and he is 10 now. I would just watch him closely. Take him to the bathroom when you think he needs to go. Keep encouraging him tog o use the bathroom. Wish I could be more help. Good luck.
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 11:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My 4 year old has been doing that too! glad to see I'm not alone. the other day he went to the basment and peed on the floor... i asked why and he said that he had to pee really bad, i told him he's to go upstairs to the bathroom, not downstairs to the laundry room! My pediatrician says it's just another way they are testing both their boundaries and exploring their "abilities"
    mommy_tl

Answer by mommy_tl at 11:40 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I can not think of anything that has changed. Oh wait the thing did change was pull-ups All I could find the other day was the cool allert ones that he never had before. This is when it started, he was peeing in them with the others he did not. I think he likes the feel of the cool. But why would he take it of and pee on the rug last night. Then he had regular undies on and just stood in the hall and peed right through everything and was slidding in it and said it is slippery. UGH! I just don"t know
    caseyowen

Comment by caseyowen (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• mommy tl, thanks I am not alone either. People have been asking me if anything has changed just the littlest thing, all I can think of iss the pull-ups the cool ones.
    caseyowen

Comment by caseyowen (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• As first girl asked, any changes? When I would come home to stay with my parents while we lived far away, and my nephew was that age, he did this. Once he went up and peed in the bedroom I and my first son stayed in. This was his bedroom when he stayed there. He did it once and we chaulked it up to an accident. Then a couple days later he did it again. I told my mom it's probably jealousy. Then low and behold, we had my son's first birthday part and my hubby's famiy was there. A cousin of my hubby who was 5 asked me where my bed was and where the baby slept. Mynephew said They sleep in my room and took my dresser. Needless to say, jealousy!!! Or could be a way or testing you. Or he just wasn't paying attention to the fact he had to pee if he was so engaged in something else.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:48 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I just read your other answer there. I would suggest only using underwear during the day. And only pull ups at nap and bed time. Then he won't feel like he can just pee in his pull ups rather than use the toilet. It shouldn't take too long for him to understand.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:49 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Thanks 2blondebabies, My daughter does sleep with me and my husband. Cause she is just so bad about staying in her bed or by herself. It has been a big problem, thats another topic lol. But maybe that could be it. Like I said It started when I had to get those pull_ups that he never had before they are the cool alert ones. I had no chose I need them and thats all they had at the moment. So it could be that too I guess?? It sound crazy that would be it but nothing really amazies me anymore lol
    caseyowen

Comment by caseyowen (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I will do that, My lord when you think you got it down it falls apart LOL Now the poop thing with him is a no way too in his pants. He is going on the potty no he just said I have to go potty. So Hmmmmm I don"t know LOL
    caseyowen

Comment by caseyowen (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• OMG my son was peeing in his bedroom on the floor! He is also four, and I don't know what started it, but I went into his room and seen the puddle on the floor. To get him to stop, and I know everyone says you shouldn't punish when it's related to potty training, but I wouldn't allow him in his room to play with his toys for the entire day if he had peed on the floor that day. he done it like, three times, but he just stopped. I have no clue what made him do it, but not being able to go in to his room and play with his toys really registered with him.
    c.love49

Answer by c.love49 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It's not uncommon at all. I would definitely lose the pull-ups and use them only at nap/night time. One of my twins is day trained (we're still working on the #2 part as well) and every now and then, he will forget to go to the potty and just pee wherever he is. Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 4:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2010