temper tantrums

My DD, who will be 5 in Dec, has suddenly started throwing temper tantrums every time she doesn't like something. She thrashes her body around like she's having a seizure!! Should we ignore this? Hasn't happened in public - yet - but what do you do if it does? I'm not a big person and trying to pick her up like this is next to impossible for me.

kangnroo1205

Asked by kangnroo1205 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we put our kids on a time out when this happens, if that doesn't help... we take away a privilege. good luck
    mommy_tl

Answer by mommy_tl at 11:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Walk away from her. She will stop because you are no longer interested or providing attention. And do not let her have what she wants.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Tell her that you are going to just ignore her when she acts like that, and when she does, ignore her. She will quit when she see that she is not going to get a reaction out of you But if she does it in public, i don't know what to do about that, maybe you can find some way to punish her, because you don't want her to be embarrassing you in public. If she acts out in stores i would try to go shopping without her til she gets out of this stage.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We put my 2 yr old son in time out. I simply say No screaming, Time out. And walk away. For her, once she calms down she should sit there for 5 minutes. Of course she will probably get up, test her limits. Just continue to only say to her, These fits (tantrums, whatever you call 0it) are not acceptable, you will sit in Time Out. Then afterwards you can talk to her. But ignore her while in time out, she will want that attention. Stay consistent and calm, even though it is hard. There are times where I raise my voice and do get mad, who doesn't. But screaming at them just feeds into it. Yes, you have to raise your voice at times, but try to not add to the tantrum. If it gets really bad and TO doesn't seem to be working, at age 5 I would send her to her room and use the same approach, you will throw a fit in here, as we do not find it acceptable.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It's not uncommon for 4 year olds to "revert" back to this type of behavior. Lately I've been telling my boys I'll put them in time out if they keep it up because they start to melt at the smallest thing these days and that seems to do the trick.
    You might try saying to her: I can't talk to you when you're acting like this. When you've calmed down, come find me and we'll talk about it" then walk away.
    Good luck.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 4:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If you remove the audience when this behavior starts, she'll stop, even in public. I mean, you walk away...but not so far away that you can't peek back in on her. She'll stop.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Thanks everyone!! All these ideas are great!! We have tried time outs, but they aren't as effective as they used to be. We put her up in her room the other day and shut the door. That seemed to work pretty well. She came out to talk to us (and to get help in calming herself down from crying) when she was ready. I'm going to try to do this everytime she does it this weekend when we won't be having a lot of interruptions in our day. I've a feeling she'll be up there a lot!! LOl!!
    kangnroo1205

Comment by kangnroo1205 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I just tell my daughter that this is not how we get what we wanted and then I make her go to her room until she is done. Like the others said...once you take away the audience, they will stop. I also make her tell me what was wrong with her actions and what she should have done instead when she comes out. She also will not get whatever the item was that she had the fit about in the first place. Seems to be working.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:40 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I find if mine is screaming with those tantrums (and boy do we have those, kicking and all) or if we are in public that a good squirt of lemon juice or something they don't like will shut them up real quick. Lemons are so great cause almost all resturants have them.
    jasonsmommom

Answer by jasonsmommom at 11:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Ignore her.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:22 AM on Sep. 16, 2010