What is the reason for inducing first time moms before 40 weeks?

I have noticed a lot of moms saying they were/are being induced by their doctors at 38-39 weeks with their very first baby. What are the reasons for that?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 11:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Uninformed women who have been fear stricken because of the line of crap their Dr's feed them about labor/birth, and the size of the baby, etc. Its disgusting.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Some women just want the pregnancy over and ask for it. Makes no sense to me. I mean, just because you want to turn the oven off doesn't mean you need to take the cake out half cooked! :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Sometimes they do that with twins or with a pregnancy with complications.

Answer by older at 11:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have no idea. My doctor wont induce anyone unless its past their due date or it would be better for the baby not to be in the womb.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Loving angels- I birthed 2 of my babies "Under The Veil". Not all womens waters rupture naturally... and, not picking a fight, but if you never went into hard labor naturally (because you didn't give your body the time- 38-42 weeks is a NORMAL pregnancy), then how do you know you couldn't labor until your waters were ruptured? Just curious.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:59 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My SIL was offered to be induced for no reason and she almost took the doctor on her offer...she said that the doctor told her since she was 38 weeks along if she wanted to be induced and have the baby already that she can send her in for the induction that day I told her that she was crazy
    lazo060109

Answer by lazo060109 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• They were talking about inducing me due to pre-eclampsia. My BP was skyrocketing a lot. But I ended up not going as far as 37 weeks anyway.
    kangnroo1205

Answer by kangnroo1205 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I've known first time moms that have been induced but all of them had a medical reason for it..not just for no reason.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Problems with the pregnancy. I was induced both times and I have medical problems that risk the baby and me. At some point we had to decide if the baby had a better shot in or out.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:52 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I was induced with both my babies at 35 and 36 weeks. Only due to the dangerous low amneotic fluid. My first son wa at 1.8 and after 48 hours of fluids it came up to a 3. So I was leaking and there was just no more room in there for him. So I deliverd vaginally. Then the same thing happened with my second. I had 2.1 cm of fluid (anything below 5 cm is considered dangerous). I was also already in labor for a month, and living in the hospital at that point too. So my hubby and I incisted they either do an amneo to make sure all was well or decide to deliver. The hospital also gave my OB the wrong info on the ultrasound and my hubby knew they were relaying info wrong, so he called and told the OB to look at the ultrasound herself, and she then said, yes this baby needs to come out of there. And both my sons were fine that early, both in the 7 pound range and not needing to be in hospital longer than the 2 days that is typical.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010