should i put my cat to sleep? please i need information

my cat is 2,5 years old. she suffered from 2 infections in a row in a period of 30 days. After a blood test the vet found out that she suffers from both aids and leukaemia as a result of the first. he suggested i should put her to sleep but i read on the internet that cats with this problem can live up to 10 years. It's such a pity because we "lost" another one in november (she was old) and it's so sad for the kids and me. Please i need iformation . does any of you have a cat with the same problem? are these blood tests reliable?

yianna671

Asked by yianna671 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pets

• YES don't let the poor cat suffer!!! They are reliable. They showed positive results when my cat was sick and a few days later he died before we could put him down.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Awww, poor kitty :( I'm so sorry to hear that about your cat.
    I havent been through that experience with my cats.That has to be a really tough decision for you.I think that if I were in the same situation with one of my cats, I would go ahead and have it put to sleep,but it would be hard.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:59 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I know its hard to put a cat to sleep. Think of her suffering, you would not want your children see her suffer.
    katie1745

Answer by katie1745 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Is your cat suffering right now? besides treatable infections - which even "normal" cats can get - is she?? I had 2 cats I took in that were born with luekemia and was told they could live a normal life also, they both happened to pass before they turned a year old, however, I loved them to pieces while they were here - IF you do put her to sleep, please know, I am sure you do but that all the toys and blankets and beds and area's must be thoroughly cleaned and rid of because the luekemia is very contagious to other cats if you got another one.. I would throw everything you have away and find out how to clean the area's before getting another one.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If she is continuously getting sick and is suffering then yes I believe you should let her go. It is true that many live a long life never showing signs of the disease but that is usually if they contract it later in life if she has had it since she was a kitten they don't tend to live as long.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Sounds like you should put her to sleep.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't know enough about the illness to give an answer. My main criteria is quality of life of the animal and whether the illness is treatable or manageable. If the animal has good quality of life and a treatable (even if it's not curable) disease, I wouldn't want to put them to sleep. We had a blind dog, a diabetic dog, and several other pets with manageable chronic illnesses. The were getting medical attention and were not in pain or suffering. However, I have had pets put to sleep if the illness was not treatable and the animal was incapacitated or in pain or miserable and there was no treatment. If it's treatable and there's no pain, I would try treatment and see. Once you reach the point where the animal is suffering and you have no treatment options, I would look at putting them to sleep.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If your cat is suffering then yes. It is the hardest thing in the world to do but it is the right thing to do. I feel so bad for you and your family cause I just had to put my 16yr old dog down cause he couldn't breathe right and it was the most gut wrenching thing my family and I had to do but he didn't deserve to suffer. Peace be with you.
    summermojo

Answer by summermojo at 1:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I just put a cat to sleep who was FIV+. He ended up with a MASSIVE infection that went from his head to the bottom of his front leg. Cats with this disease will get infections over and over that can affect any part of the body including the heart and lungs. I personally did not want him to be put through that. Yes he could live for many more years but what kind of quality of life would it be if he was constantly battling infections?
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 1:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• thank you very much for your answers. all i know is that i have to do it for the second time this year and it's so hard.
    yianna671

Comment by yianna671 (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010