i have a boy with 9 years old now he´s turning intoa bad boy!he started stealling money at home !what do you think i should do?

carina83

Asked by carina83 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would first of all try to find out the why of the change in behavior. Has there been some trauma in his life? Has he not been getting enough attention for behaving so that he feels the only way to get attention is by doing something bad? Is there something that he feels he really needs and has been asking for but hasn't gotten? Sudden changes in behavior almost always indicate an unmet need, and so the first thing I would want to discover would be that need and then I would want to meet it, if I could. If it turns out to be something that's impossible right now, then he and I would have an honest discussion with my telling him that I understood his need and would love to be able to meet it. He needs to know that someone understands him and where he is coming from. If he's hanging with the wrong crowd, that needs to be changed. If he's watching the wrong things, that needs to be changed. He's 9 so he needs to learn!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• punish him. Take away his favorite item, that you can, and tell him that stealing is wrong and when you steal from someone its only hurting that person. Ask him why he stole the money. tell him if he wants money for stuff then he has to earn it.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Kids test boundaries and he's testing this one. Punish him. If there's not a negative consequence for his action, then he'll keep doing it. He wants to know how much you'll let him get away with ... show him.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 12:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2010