Another mom in need of advice about potty help!

My daughter will be 3 on the 21st and she just doesn't care about the potty! Sometimes she will say she has to potty and sit on it for 2 sec and then gets up and flushes but I pay close attention and I know she doesn't do anything. She tells me when she pees and I know when she does #2, and when I tell her why don't you go on the potty she makes up a excuse. What should I do?

tkerst

Asked by tkerst at 4:37 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Spank her, whenever she makes up some kinda of excuse why she didn't use the potty!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• let her know that "BIG girls" use the potty just keep at it be consistant
    Lady_Wayz

Answer by Lady_Wayz at 5:46 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I would be consistent about using the potty. I would also make it as special as you can. Take her to the store and get her "Big Girl" underwear. Maybe start a sticker calendar, were every time she goes she gets a sticker and after "X" amount of stickers she gets a special treat.

Kids this age can only control so much and this is one thing they can control. If she knows that you are getting mad and really wanting her to do it she may just be holding out. Back off a little and no not punish her for not going potty.

I would also try setting a schedule and having books in the bath room. When she wakes up have her go right away and look at a book while she is going.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Make it a routine. Every half hour take her to the bathroom. Have her sit on the toilet, even if she doesn't do anything there is bound to be less accidents. Stop worrying, she won't be in diapers in high school. Just tell her it is time to "empty the tank". When we go to the store or something we all go to the bathroom at the beginning and the end, EVERYONE, just to empty the tank. My kids are older now, and really understand the idea of everyone goes NOW, so we don't have to stop multiple times.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I had the same prob with my middle one. I used Christmas to potty train him. He really wanted "Bumble Bee" transformer for Christmas and I told him only big boys who pee pee and poo poo on the big boy potty gets special toys from Santa. Every time he peed or pooed in his pants I told him Santa wasn't happy. You can try that. I also didn't put the pull ups on him. I think this is still a form of diaper and it doesn't help with the potty training. I put big boy pants on him and when he peed or pooed in them I would show him what he did and give him a spank on the butt put him on the pot and clean him up and put him on his way within a few weeks he finally had it with a few accidents here and there. Good Luck!
    mom3cutieboyz

Answer by mom3cutieboyz at 12:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I found some very good books and dvds on potty training at our library. My three year old loved them, she would sing the potty songs while she sat on her potty. She was so proud to be doing the same thing as the big girl in the movie. After she started to go potty, we went on a big girl panty shopping spree, she loved it!
    angelbears

Answer by angelbears at 6:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Well, my son just got potty trained this past aug. He will be 4 in March. I have always been told that you can't force a child to use the potty, they'll do it when they're ready. I bought him underwear last March and just held onto them. Yeah I agree with putting them on the potty every so often, but she'll be ready when she's ready. Although when I brought him to the docs for 3 yr check up he had told me (is she wearing diapers/pull ups) that when you have to change her, make it quick. so she won't see it as a fun time bonding thing or what not.
    Anonymous

• I am of the belief that kids need to do this on their own time , they must show interest in the potty in order to be potty trained.. you can make it more appealing with sticker charts, fun underwear.. offering the option of potty chair vs. toilet cover and giving lots of positive reinforcement every time they use the potty... I dont however believe that Spanking , letting them feel bad for still using diapers or having an accident will help in any way! on the contrary it just makes them more anxious and afraid and may actually regress or try to hide it when they have an accident which starts forming a distrust issue .... potty training takes patience but like with everything in the the past (bottle weaning, walking, talking) you'll see that when youre child is ready theyll just take off and you'll wonder why you were so stressed about it in the 1st place..
    SkylerJsMommy

Answer by SkylerJsMommy at 1:32 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I did the Potty Chart thing and it seemed to work pretty well. My dd is 2 1/2 and almost potty trained. Still working on the night time and pooping. You can also try the panties thing. Have her pick out a package of "Big Girl" panites and tell her if she wants to wear them she has to be a big girl and go in the potty. Accidents will still happen but so far that has been working for my dd.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 2:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2008