What is your opinion on a 14 year old with a facebook?

My son just made one. DH wants him to cancel. I have mixed feelings, one thing I feel if they accept just anybody as a friend your asking for trouble. If he sticks with just his friends, I almost feel I can see what kind of kids he hangs out with.

Iluvmy5

Asked by Iluvmy5 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I wouldn't see a problem with it if there are rules in place and the child follows them. It's just one more thing to offer to take away if he misbehaves. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• As long as a parent monitors what the child does, I see no problem with it.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My son is 13, and he has a FB account. i have the password, and we're friends - he uses it to talk to his friends and play games. We had a big discussion on what was appropriate vs. not regarding posting, and his profile is set to private.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My son has had one for years. Just make sure you know his password so you can log on as him. I log on almost every day just to see what is going on.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't see any issue at all, as long as you set ground rules and enforce them... he'll get into more trouble at school, where you can't see what he is doing, than at home where you can.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My 14 year old has a facebook account. The rules are that I am on her friends list, and I have her password. Only people she knows are to be "friended," and her posts have to be appropriate, because grandpa is on FB too. I've only had to lock her out of her account once.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think it's ok within reason. I agree with everything Scuba said. My little sister had one at 14 and my parents didn't monitor it until someone let them know that she was posting pictures of her in sexual positions and half nude. It's still the internet and it is still unsafe! But it is also the best way to stay in touch with long distance friends or even to keep up to date with classmates.

Chloeek86

Answer by Chloeek86 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• typical kid...
    Make sure they only friend people they know.... If he is on FB im sure family members will send a friend request... So that should help him "stay in the lines".... You/hubby could get your own page to FB him as well..

My 13yo cousin has one.. he is friends with his mom/stepdad/me/ his aunts... he never does anything bad..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• 14s not bad. My df has family members that let their 8yr olds have one!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I dont see the big deal, as long as you always keeps tabs.
    faithnseansmama

Answer by faithnseansmama at 12:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010