How much to pay a sitter.....

I have not had to pay a sitter in years...... Unfortunately I have to work this weekend and my mother in law cannot watch my three kids for me as she usually does. They are 8, 5 and 2. The girl is 16 and comes very highly recommended by multiple co workers. I need her to watch them 9-6 Sat and Sun....

I have no clue how much to pay her... of course I want to pay her well because If she works out I would like to have her as back up in the future...

Help!

ErinaM

Asked by ErinaM at 12:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• We pay our sitter $10/hour for just one child but they are in their early 20's with childhood degrees. Maybe $15?
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• when I was looking for a sitter they wanted $25 a day, for 1 child, but an infant. I think that would work for your 3 maybe a little more. Try discussing it with the sitter and see what she would think is good and find an inbetween
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• The going rate is $10 per hour here. That comes to $90 per day. That seems right, a little high, but it will be a lot of work!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Wow things have really changed since I was in high school babysitting.... I thought those were prices you would pay for a certified daycare center not a girl in high school just looking to do a good job and make extra money.....She would make more than half of what I make at my job...... Gives me a lot to think about...thanks!
    ErinaM

Comment by ErinaM (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't go over $10, i think that is reasonable for her age
    c.love49

Answer by c.love49 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2010