How far away from ground zero???

would it be ok for the Muslims to build their mosque?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Deeply saddened by the resounding attitude of bigotry.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• As far away or as close as any places of worship are allowed to be.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 12:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• They can build wherever they want. But if there is legitimate reason to believe they are receiving funding from those who are linked to funding the same terrorists who took the WTC down, then they should be investigated. I would feel this way about ANY religion/contributor to terrorist.   Full transparency.  Full accountability. Across the board... JMO

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Apparently...in Afghanistan,Iraq,Pakistan...you know..over there in "their" country. Not here in "Christian" America. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Farther away than they want to build it. I am not a christian, per se, and I don't like that this bothers me, but it does. I don't want to see ANY faith on top of Ground Zero. NONE. It's a place (and this is MPO) for ALL Americans, and faith needs to stay the fuck outtt it. Why? Because extreme faith is what caused there to be a Ground Zero, and I see that same level of xenophobia and hatred in more of the world religions than just the Islamic faith.

I don't want to see any faith glom onto Ground Zero. I also don't want to see a mosque around the corner. I just don't. I don't have a rationalization for it.................I am sure I will get call bigoted, but I can't help the way I feel.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 12:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Why three generations? Why not now? What difference does it make? Jeez. It's not like mosques are evil, it's the same thing as a fucking church. Get over it.
    sliceoflife88

Answer by sliceoflife88 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Sweet, who says I am a Christian?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think it is very small minded to tell people where they can worship in a country that was started by a group of " imigrants " who wanted to express their religion freely . So I think" they" should be able to build and practise where ever they want that is what the conquest was about was it not ?
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Is America a bigoted country?
    ___________________
    Some people certainly are. And for some reason, it is acceptable to hate Islam because of 9/11, a bunch of idiots walking around and talking self-righteously about the victims of 9-11 and turning it into an us or them mentality.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It is not so very much to ask that there NOT be a monument erected at the site of the 9/11 suicide pilots' deed, glorifying their victorious achievement, visible right there at Ground Zero.

Look up the history of Cordoba in Spain, and tell me that using the name "The Cordoba Project" for building a mosque at Ground Zero is NOT intended to broadcast a victory of Islam over the current population.

As others have said, it this were TRULY an endeavor toward peace and unity and inclusion, then ... this is a HUGE building: put in a synagogue and a Christian church along with the mosque. They are pretending that it is intended as a "community center": then make it a community center and include a church and a synagogue.

The fact is that Ground Zero, just like Pearl Harbor and many other honored sites, has a particular significance. No one would propose building a monument to Japan at Pearl Harbor !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010