How to keep my child from diving over the balcony!

We're moving into a high rise apartment complex with a balcony and I'm worried about my 2 year old! He can already climb up onto kitchen and bathroom counters (without using anything to stand on...) and can unlatch and open sliding doors, so I'm trying to think of ways to keep him safe. Any creative ideas on how to lock a sliding glass door or keep him from climbing up the balcony wall? Of course I will have to keep a close eye on him but I'm scared that if I turn my back for a second he'll be falling 10 stories down!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A quick fix for sliding glass doors, is placing a tension curtain rod at the TOP between the fixed door and the one that opens--so that he cannot open it!

I would also turn over all chairs that he can climb onto to reach up high and unlock doors/windows! GOOD LUCK!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• get a peice of wood cut to length and place it between the door and wall of the sliding glass door. That way he cant even pull it open. Make sure its a good fit so he cant take it out and then open the door
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yikes, that is a scary thought. Sliding glass doors usually come with some kind of bar that comes down and locks into place. Make sure it is high enough, and/or wedge something else in there too.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Lori- That is EXACTLY what we did for years. We lived in a 3rd floor condo. A cheap Cafe Rod from wally world does the trick nicely- for about 5 bucks.

see, if you use a piece of wood, or a lower locking bar, the kids can undo it! Using a tension rod (a spring loaded curtain rod) holds it in place at the TOP where they can't reach it, and it's too hard for them to undo!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• my sliding glass door has a bolt screwed into the top of it, where you open it. You have to unscrew the bolt to open the door. You could even put a cover over the bolt with a lock. Hope this helped
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I was going to say a stick in the track, but he could lift that out. So I will go with the first responce ~ tension rod up too high for him to reach. Good luck!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010