How many warnings do you give?

My son is 2-1/2 so I know it is a testing age anyway but I also know he's smart enough to try to get away with as much as possible.. Is giving a child this age only 2 chances too strict? I ask him to please lay down, its time to get Pj's on.. he runs.. I ask him again, then if he doesn't.. he gets a toy taken away. I will ask him to please take the flashlight handle out of his mouth, ask him again, then take it away.. is that too harsh for this age? I don't really know how to pick my battles because I struggle then with not being consistent enough - or him not listening to me when I "mean it" you know? Do you do the 1, 2, 3 counting or how do you deal with a strong willed personality anyway??!

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with BradenIsMySon - you do have to get to their level and let them know you are serious, while repetition is gonna happen for awhile - definitely the warning and the consequence is important and I use to also give the why as well. My boys we're both stubborn and I find giving them reason why mommy said something was helpful.
    Also when it comes to putting things down or out of their mouth I use to give them one warning, the second time I would say "Mommy asked you to take that that out of your mouth (or put it down or whatever) if you don't do it, mommy is going too" that usually worked after a few times of mommy doing it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• At that age: For example, my son was rocking a mirror in a shoe store. I told him to stop. He continued. My mom got down to his level and said: Your mom told you to stop and you didn't, if you do it again, you will get a spanking." He did it again. She said: " You were told that you would get a spanking if you did it again." "What did you do" "I did it again" "what are you going to get?" "a spanking" And she gave him a pop or two on the butt. He then stood right beside me and didn't rock it again. He was told to stop, then, got a warning. And finally, a follow through with explanation.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I usually do about 3 warnings.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• The countings works really well at our house too
    Memigen

• He gets one. I tell him what needs to be done,he gets a warning. I say it again,he doesn't listen,I get up and make him behave. And no,I don't hit.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• How do you MAKE him behave?? I swear with having his fathers testing personality and being strong willed, I already feel walked all over and I HATE repeating myself a billion times for the simplest task.. I know he's only almost 3 so I have tons of repeating left, I just want to find a way that will actually work for him, cause taking his toys away is not working.. he could care less
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Oh yeah...you don't have to spank..the punishment you choose is in place of it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• To answer your question about how to make him behave, honestly you really can't at that age and certainly you don't want to be overly controlling, that will cause you issues in the long run. It takes patience and repetition and don't expect too much, they are little and still learning boundaries and rules. The forget things, they are looking for your attention (no matter how much you give at that age they want more). It's definitely hard work at the toddler stage, unless he's running with scissors and stabbing people I wouldn't worry too much, if its just a matter of toys, and chewing and hiding at bedtime...those battles in my opinion are not necessarily worth fighting or putting too much effort into. Yes discipline but waste the energy on the big stuff, things things that will hurt him or others. That's what kept me sane, keep things fun and don't let him get bored, routine, consistency, patience and repetition.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You need to be hands on completely. With a child who has a strong personality, you have to be consistent and not bend on the expectations....that is the hardest part. It will take a lot of repeating and you have to be willing to physically get up and deal with him each and every time.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 2:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• None if it is hitting or something physical. With a toddler I put in the watching chair and then remind to be gentle. For older children, no warnings for violence. For other things it is a reminder of what to do and if done again then a cosequece.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010