How can i get my son to stop pushing and hitting other kids?

I recently joined a gym and im loving it but when my kids go to the daycare my son acts up and starts pushing and hitting other kids, he only gets 3 time outs and then i have to take him out for the day and cant come back. Its starting to get fusterating and i dont know how to stop it. please help....he is 2 1/2

MomGoneCrazyX2

Asked by MomGoneCrazyX2 at 5:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• explain to him that it is wrong. I would sit down with him and ask him if he would like it for another child to push him. Then let him know that it isn't a nice thing to do. If you quit going you are just giving him satisfaction. He is not use to you leaving him in another place for a period of time with people he doesn't know. He is young and doesn't understand so explain that you will be back. Hopefully this will help you.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My daughter is two and does the same thing. This is part of the reason I haven't joined a gym yet. She's already about to get kicked out her daycare for going off on kids. It's normal. I've talked to her, the daycare people have talked to her. Your child is two. They don't call them the Terrible Two's for nothing.
    KenKie

Answer by KenKie at 10:18 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• As a preschool teacher for 6 yrs. we were not allowed to give timeouts as it can be detrimental to a child's character. I suggest that parents use positive reinforcements or sticker charts. Try not to focus on the "pushing" and instead create an incentive chart for "being gentle with friends" or something along those lines. You can create your own or buy a chart. Before your son leaves for school tell him that you know he is sweet and that you want him to be gentle with his friends. Pushing is not gentle and it hurts them. He can have a sticker if his teachers tell you he has been gentle all day. Let the teacher know that you use an incentive chart so they can help reinforce it. Once he fills up his chart he earns a prize. Key to a sticker chart is to never ever use it as a punishment (I'll take away a sticker) . Hope that helps...email me if you have any questions.
    NessaOsuna

Answer by NessaOsuna at 10:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Yes and lets all be so happy and dance through fields of flowers.
    HE IS TWO.
    Does he do this anywhere else? I would say as a parent of three that he doesn't want to be in his little daycare class that he wants to do something else. Let him know it isn't his choice and if he misbehaves in class he won't be able to do (whatever it is he likes to do) give him something as a reminder. (Like a sticker on his shirt.) This is a reminder to you that mommy expects you to be nice in class.
    BUT again, HE IS TWO. Lower your expectations and put him in a stroller and walk.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Susie, your answer rocks! It is so true though - I agree 100%
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 12:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2008