how do i deal with a 1 1/2 yr old that wont listen ?

my 1 1/2 year old wont listen he is into everything and when u tell him no or smack his hand he laughs and dose it again. Im so frustrated I scream atleast once a day

joe07chris09

Asked by joe07chris09 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Since smacking his hand doesn't work, try a time out. Kid's are all different and it can take some time to figure out what form of discipline works best for each child. Above all, be consistent....and don't give in.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It's very common, but you have to stick with it. You have to be consistant about the approach you take to diciplining him. When my son used to laugh at me I'd grab him firmly (but not hurting him) and tell him "This is not a joke, you need to listen to me." It took a few times of doing that before he realized that I wasn't joking. If you switch up the punishment you give (exp: Smack his hand one time, but the next time do a time out) he's less likely to take you seriously. You have to be consistant in whichever approach you take with him, so that he knows that there is a fierce punishment coming if he does it. Now, he is a toddler and is bound to do things he's not supposed to. It's programmed in them to test you and their bounderies, because they're learning.

I personally would suggest NOT smacking his hand or spanking him. Hurting him, even if it's just a light tap, isn't the answer and only teaches them to hit.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• He is not developmentally ready to "listen". Don't expect it any more than you can expect him to be able to read at this point.
    Smacking his hand will not help. It won't teach him to listen any sooner, and may teach him to hit.

So what do you do? Tell him NO in a calm but firm voice. Get up and move him away from what he should not be doing and over to something he can be doing. It is a lot of work to constantly get up every time, but that is life with a one year old!

Do you best to child proof your house so that there are fewer things that he can get into.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• she's right..they don't listen...when my son was 18 months I would either distract him with something else or I would take him in another room and hold him on my lap and restrain his arms and legs for 60 seconds. it's a mini time out and they don't like it at all! It did solve many issues. i read it in a parenting book.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Screaming isn't healthy for him either. You have to TEACH him how to listen. My dd is 14 months old and she is going through the same thing. When I see her getting into things, I move her away from there and to a place that is safe for her to get into things. (ie: her toybox) Smacking his hand is teaching him that hitting is okay. Screaming at him isn't teaching him an effective way to express his anger and frustration. Use a stern voice and raise it up a couple notches, but you shouldn't scream at him. These are just my opinions and suggestions, I'm not trying to bash you for your parenting style just so you know. Good luck and he'll grow out of it.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We spanked our children for such behavior. Children should be told once and then disciplined if they don't obey. My children are grown now with children of their own, who are also being spanked, and this kind of behavior is not a problem. Once you have established that there will be painful consequences for disobedience or ignoring authority of the parents, you will seldom have to use the spanking. The child will test you from time to time, and you have to remain consistent. It is a lie that children who are spanked become hitters. None of my children ever hit me nor did they hit others except for the occasional sibling scuffle, for which everyone involved got--you guess it--a spanking. I have even spanked a grandchild on occasion and the result of that is I only have to tell them once what I want and I get obedience. And they love me to pieces to boot!!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• He's a baby so you need to teach him. If he gets into something he doesn't belong in you pull him away and talk to him. It's by learning that he knows that he shouldn't do something or praise him when he accomplishes a new task for the very first time.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• try to relax! this is such a normal thing for this age. your child is discovering the world around him. if there is anything dangerous in his reach, remove it and baby proof the room. Try to redirect or distract him instead of physical discipline or yelling. Screaming and hitting won't help him understand, but be stern in your voice. You can teach why it's not ok to touch something in very simple terms. For example, if he is about to touch the oven, say "HOT!" and redirect him. Don't say NO too much or else it'll go in one ear out the other.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• yes...no "no"s. I noticed my child has rarely said "no" in his 2 1/2 years of life. I would always reword things..like "it makes me sad when you...", "We use crayons to draw on paper", "it makes me happy when..."Stop..." "Please don't..." you will really notice a difference!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010