why are young people who have children stereotyped and anyone who isnt married its so ridiculous i mean not evry person on earth who has children is in there 30s and married im 19 with 2 children not married and am happy

Lady_Wayz

Asked by Lady_Wayz at 5:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Relationships

• I am happy for you! I don't stereotype anyone at all. I have a daughter that got married at 19 and I am still waiting to be a Grandma(dang, its a longggggg wait, too) Some people just think teenagers are too young to be a Mom,but, thats not true, because there are some 30 year olds who are lousy parents. Its not the age for me, but, how those children are raised whether you are a good parent or not. I was 19 once too and I remember what it was like to be a teen. Now if you were 15 and wrote this, it would be a different story for me.Or even 17 because they still need to finish school. I don't care what anyone says, school is Important this day and time.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:14 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• That's how it is sometimes. I think it's because older generation still believe in marriage first and then having children afterward.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Good for you. I understand the not typical. I am married and in my thirties, I also had my first child when I was 21 and not married.

I do not necessarily think that age makes you a good parent. I do think that there is an age that is 2 young. I also agree that education is very important and that if you do have children young you still need to finish that education.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Because people are stupid and they wrongfully judge. I used to get bashed from SAHMs when I worked full time. Now that I'm a SAHM, the corporate types think they know me - - - comments like "Oh, you sit home and watch soaps and Oprah all day" - - - nothing could be further from the truth. Early on in my career, employers would say things like "why should we invest any time in you because you'll just get married, have kids, and leave us someday." I actually outlasted them (most of them were let go when we downsized . . . hee, hee). I've been judged or stereotyped because of my age, my sex, my marital status, my education/choice of college, the type of car I drove, and everything in between. Like I said, people are stupid and they wrongfully judge.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• It's a generational/cultural thing. Of course not everybody is in their 30's and married before they have kids, that's actually the minority if you're talking world-wide here.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Hmm for a happy person you sound so angry. Which stereotypes are you talking about? There are soooo many.........
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I think a large part of the stereotype is that it's hard to believe anyone in their teens would be able to make enough money to support a family without having to rely on aid and/or their parents. Education and gainful employment should come first and foremost and most (definitely not all, but most is fair to say I think) teen parents have not had the chance to finish their schooling or aquire a real career. Now, that doesn't mean that you cannot be a good parent as a teen... anyone has the potential to be a good parent.. and let's face it kids don't care how much money you have as long as their basic needs are met and you spend quality time with them.
    CorgiMomma

Answer by CorgiMomma at 11:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I don't stero-type or judge; actually I wish I would have had kids when I was younger! all my friends did and now they are grand parents (lol) and I'm just starting!?! by the time I did try to start a family I was too sick to have kids and blah blah blah

If you are a responsible young adult capable of caring for your children then I applaud you! Nobody HAS to get married, it's a choice you make.

luvbeinhermom

Answer by luvbeinhermom at 11:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• The majority of young mothers aren't married... doesn't mean you're a good or bad mother no matter whether you're married, divorced or whatever.... older married/single moms aren't always great either.
    I know older parents who still don't put their kids first, they haven't given up on partying all the time, not being able to support their kids, but it is more common in young unmarried people.. just statistics.
    If you're happy, then that's wonderful... prove to everyone that you're not the classic young unmarried mother but you sound like you're putting yourself in that group, we didn't put you there. To all of us here, you're just another Mom till you tell us otherwise.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• ha by the time i was 19 i was pregnant with my second and not married hell im still not married im 25 im not with my kids fathr anymore but the man i am with and i are now trying to have a baby together i got over caring what ppl think
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 12:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2008