30 Month Old Tantrums

Up until 2 weeks ago my son NEVER had a tantrum. He definately had listening issues as do most toddlers but never did he pitch a fit. He is VERY verbal (has vocabulary and speech of a 3 1/2 year old boy) which is why, I believe, tantrums were rare. Lately everything is a reason for a tantrum; from getting dressed, getting in the car to going potty. I ask him to use his words and if it doesn't stop I walk away and tell him to let me know when he is finished. Any thoughts as to why this has suddenly started and if I am doing the right thing by ignoring it?

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• MAybe your son and my son are talking and potting doing this at the same time> My son turns 3 in Nov and also has very great verbal skills.. although since birth he's been tantruming, I think lately they are more extreme over similar things.. I can't even get him to sit on the potty anymore so we are just taking the diapers away completely.. but the whining.. Oh the whining.. I wish I had a magic cure for that because nothing drives me more crazy than whining.. I try ignoring it and feel my blood boil and my heart race, and I am considered a person with TONS of patience.. I don't know.. I say good luck to you mommy!!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• 30 month old?
    When they hit the year old mark, you don't need to use months anymore. The reason months are used is because they haven't hit a year yet, but after that it's silly to use months.

To respond to what you said though .. Tantrums are natural whether they happen early or start later. He's just trying to say "Hey mom, I'm in charge" and he's throwing a tantrum to get his way. Work through it, don't coddle him or talk him through it. Make it known that tantrums are not okay. I stick my kid in his room when he throws a tantrum and that seems to have stopped them for the most part, because he doen't like being punished. As any child doesn't..
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• those were my thoughts...ignoring it, punishing it..anything that says that your not paying attention...

max'smom, we are having potty issues too...fully trained for 6 weeks..now he won't tell us and it is a tantrum going to the potty...grrr
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It kind of sounds to me like he is just testing the waters- with the potty and the tantrums, etc. I mean, if you have ruled out that he isn't having a hard time at day care or something like that, no other major upheaval in his life, etc, then I would think he is just seeing what he can get away with. I think you are doing the right thing by not overreacting but not giving in either. I think ignoring tantrums is best and especially because he is plenty old enough to understand your telling him to come to you when he calms down. Good luck! Since he is older than a lot of kids when they hit this phase maybe he will get thru it more quickly when he learns it doesn't get the results he wants.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010