Do women really not go into labor naturally???

I am 39 weeks and all everyone keeps telling me is that they had to be induced because they never showed signs of labor. A women who went to 42 weeks even told me that. I am doing a natural birth at home with a midwife so unless something goes seriously wrong no induction for me. Does this really happen a lot or is being induced just "the new thing"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I dont believe their is a reason for an induction to take place unless the baby is in distress & in that case a c-section would be necessary. My sister is a L&D Nurse & has said that ab out 80% off all of their inductions lead to a c-section. If your body isnt ready to go through child birth- its not going to cooperate! ;) Just hold out Momma! That baby will come when he/she is ready! :)
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Well, it must be "the new thing" because women have been having babies naturally for a really long time... But, I was induced with my second. He was a week late and I chose to be induced because I couldn't walk, he was so low.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 1:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It's a new and more convenient for doctors. Otherwise they'd have to spend all kinds of time just waiting around to pretend like they do something when the baby comes out.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I went into labor naturally at home. I took a shower and when I got out I was having contraction and was dilated to 6cm ............ I think its the norm for women to be induced or impatient so they want to be.. It jsut depends on the person and the circum.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 1:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think people think their due date is like an expiration date. They forget that due dates are just estimates. As long as you aren't having any issues you can go WAYYY beyond your due date. My cousin went to 44 weeks. Obviously her due date was wrong by a month. Her baby was normal size.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 1:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I had three kids...alll labors started naturally. I would NOT be induced. It is dangerous for both Mom and baby. WHERE did you get the idea that nobody goes into labor naturally? LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I promise you that you will go into labor when your baby is ready to be born and your body is ready to deliver your baby. The inductions and c-sections are a pretty new thing, but so many are done that very few women are being given the opportunity to go into labor on their own. I had 3 children, all natural, born when they were ready. They each slept all night by the time they were 3 weeks old and I think it was due mainly to the fact that they were full term babies and had made their entrance into this world when the time was right for them to be born. Due dates are figured by doctors and at best, they are educated guesses. Your body knows exactly how long that baby has been inside you and when it's time for it to come out. Unless there is some real medical evidence that something needs to be done, my advice is to wait on your body to do its job.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes women go into labor naturally. It's just some bodies take their sweet time. Other women opt for being induced because they're impatient. And some have medical reasons that force them to be induced. I was induced with both of my children, because my body took too long to go into labor after it started.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• my 1st i went into labor on my own at 36 weeks. only one of my friend was induced. she was 42 or 43 weeks and the baby was starting to have problems.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 1:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• She got the idea because a lot of women say: " I got induced because I don't go into labor on my own"

My mom was due June 30 with me, she went into labor July 18. LOL The problem is that women are led to believe that 38 weeks is fine to be born and that they MUST dilate prior to labor starting. They also are led to believe that baby will die if they go a day over the EDD.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2010