I have an eviction notice, I need some advice!!

My landlord gave us an evection notice because, we had the wrong curtains in our window. That's a lease violation. We had garbage ONE day outside of our door. That's a lease violation. The electric bill is "not" in my name (I have a piece of mail here, it is mailed to me, in my name). Someone please tell me that I can win in court, here! This is just ridiculous! We are about to have a baby, due date in 3 days, Sept. 3rd is the out date she wants us. This is the ONLY "trouble" we have caused!

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Your lease tells you what kind of curtains your can have? That is written down? If it is, I don't know. I would call the realty board in your town and ask them.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It depends on the renter's laws in your state. And what exactly your lease states about these things.

Yes, in most cases, a landlord can evict you for lease types of violations, if they are part of the lease/rental agreement. .

When you go to court. If you signed a lease agreeing to these things, then the ruling can go against you. If these things are not stipulated in the lease you signed, then you can win an fight the eviction.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Depending on where you live, you should have a "tenant rights' area of your state gov/HUD. Start there...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If you have a board in your town that oversees rentals and leases, I would call them. I'm not sure what it would be called. Call your public defenders office or your county attorney's office and ask them who oversees such things. The people to whom your landlord has to answer would be able to tell you what your rights are.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't know for sure, but I believe that in cases like this there is some sort of rule that you are to have an XX amount of time to fix the "problem" before actual eviction. I'd check into it. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If what you're saying is true, then I would guess you could fight it and win. Do you have a lease that's longer than month to month? How much longer do you have?

You have to read your lease very carefully. If it says that if you violate ANY of the terms, then you can be evicted, then you may not win.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i think that is crazy. look at your copy of the lease. see if any of that is on it. that is crazy. is the a free attorny place in your area. i think that its so crazy the way they are treating you.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 1:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I feel for you but if those things are mentioned in the lease you signed you may be out of luck.

Ditto to grly. Contact you local housing authority.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• In most states you have to be given a certain amount of time to "fix" the problem and then after that if you don't fix it or it happens again they can evict you without anymore notices.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 1:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• what state are you in? No one can truthfully answer these questions without knowing that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010