For Catholics

My SIL is Catholic and says she cant eat meat on Fridays but only during certain times of the year. I was wondering where this belief came from? NOT BASHING, just curious as to why it's only during certain times of the year and why she can eat fish on Fridays during the times that she cant eat meat??

alexsmomma06

Asked by alexsmomma06 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Fasting is done to purify the body so as to allow the soul to be freed up from "polluting" influences. Communing with God / Christ / the angels is made more difficult when the divine part of our soul is being weighed down by physical earthly impulses.

Mammals carry instincts & passions like fear and want, "red-blooded" animals are sentient and have these qualities. Fish and "cold-blooded" animals do not. So eating fish does not bring in the heavy earthliness to drag down the soul during festival seasons when Catholics are aiming for a connection with the divine.

That's the explanation for the ancient practice.

It's fascinating that science research has discovered: the fats in red meat cause inflammation and a clogging of our bodily systems AND a dimming of our minds. And fish oil has the opposite effect: it is very beneficial throughout our bodies, and it enhances intelligence & brain function.

Those priests were right !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:06 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Fasting is done during Lent, this is a time of year of self reflection, we set aside extra time for prayer, both individually and as a group.  During Lent many people will use this time to eat smaller meals and to set aside the extra money to feed the hungry. Meat was chosen because it's what most people find the hardest to give up. 

Also during Lent many people choose something else to give up that they personally will have difficultly with ( sweets, smoking, ect). Or they will do something they don't normally do ( exercise more, donate time to a good cause).  People are working on themselves as individuals and are coming to gather as a larger community during Lent. 

Giving something up like meat is meant to teach self discipline, and hopefully we can improve ourselves as individuals over time.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Roman Catholic Church allows fish, reptiles, and insects to be eaten on fasting days.

Answer by older at 2:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• http://catholic-practices.suite101.com/article.cfm/why_catholics_have_fish_fridays

Answer by older at 1:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Thank you for this, but the last sentence in the article is ''Today, Catholics thank and honor Jesus for his sacrifice by not sacrificing (eating) animal flesh on Fridays during Lent."- Why is fish not considered 'animal flesh".

alexsmomma06

Comment by alexsmomma06 (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I actually don't like meat, and I do like fish, so it is not much sacrifice for me to go the day without meat! I'm not sure why fish is allowed on the days when meat is not eaten. In the Orthodox churches, they don't eat any animal products at all during Lent (if I am remembering correctly).
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• LOL, I'm Catholic and never eaten an insect. I do have a small desire to try alligator. I saw it once in a package at Walmart. =)
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• thanks waldorfmom! This is what I was looking for- where the belief came form!!
    alexsmomma06

Comment by alexsmomma06 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2010