How long do you boil an egg till it's cooked through?

I'm making deviled eggs for dinner and I was just wonder how long I should boil the egg to cook it all the way through?

guam_mama

Asked by guam_mama at 5:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Food & Drink

• About 15 minutes. When they are done cooking, run them under cold water so that the outside of the yolks don't get that greenish color. It isn't bad for you, it just isn't as pretty. I always test one before I take them all off because when I cook a lot I have had to leave them on as long as a half hour or so.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 6:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I usually boil them for a good 20 minutes but the way that I figure out if they are done or not is to spin them with a spoon in the water. If they don't spin or roll for a long period of time, they are done. It's basically testing the weight of the egg because if the egg is cooked through then it will obviously be heavier. Danny loves eating hard-boiled eggs so I had to figure out when they were done. Good luck!
    nvillon25

Answer by nvillon25 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I have always boiled them for only 7 minutes. But I wait until the water is completely boiling before putting them in!
    Anonymous

• I let them come to a rapid boil and remain in the boiling water for 5 minutes. I then remove them from the heat, put a lid on the pan and let them sit in the water for about 25 minutes. They finish cooking as the water cools down and they don't have the discoloration on the yokes like when you boil them too long.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• 20 MINS
    kimsboys

Answer by kimsboys at 12:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• 3 TO 7MINS APPROX
    capemaygirl

Answer by capemaygirl at 10:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Put the eggs in cold water to cover by about 1". Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover with a lid and remove from heat. Let sit 15 minutes. Empty hot water and run cold water over eggs. Hit all over with the back of a spoon to completely crack them. roll an egg between your palms. The peel will then loosten and slip off. Easy peasy. Perfect every time.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• An easy trick for deviled eggs. put your yolk mixture in a zip-lock bag. squeeze air out and close. Snip off a corner and voila! squeeze out into egg whites. So pretty.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2008