I feel like a horrible mother!!!

My son is a year old and walking.... he keeps falling and scratching or bruising his face!!! I feel like people look at me like I'm beating him (which I def would never do!!) !!! Is it normal for toddlers to fall and hurt themselves so much???

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Very normal sweetie, there will be a lot more falls to come, just keep a close eye.

Answer by older at 2:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• of course it's normal- why would you feel like a bad mom, you didn't do anything???
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• ps: you are not a horrible mother!!! it is all part of the growing process, just keep that eye on him.

Answer by older at 2:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes! And even once they aren't toddlers anymore, it's normal for some falls. My girl constantly has a few bruises. As soon as one is about to go away, another pops up. She has a bad one under the bottom of her chin from tripping on her bike (in the living room) and slamming her face on the hard wood floor. Seems no matter how many times we say "nose and toes" she never watches where she's going. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It appears balance and talent isn't one his strengths. Buy him a helmet! All better now...there there...
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Toddlers hurt themselves a lot. Right now he'll hurt himself walking, then he'll get better at walking and hurt himself climbing.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes, it is very normal. He has to learn, and he will learn more quickly when he is allowed to fall. You just need to watch him while he's learning....well, and after he learns, too.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes!!! My cousin who is a ped. says that they actuzlly look for these bruises. They feel if they don't see any that it is a red flag that the child isn't active enough
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• my 13 month old daughter has not started walking yet but she does know how to stand for a certain amount of time. She falls too and get scrapes. Don't feel bad some things are just inevitable especially when they start walking. Just keep a close eye and try to to stay close by when there are on their little adventures lol
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 2:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yeah..its normal.Don't feel like a horrible mom, youre not! Anyone that has a toddler themselves will know better and not be passing judgement against you, trust me,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010