Does it seem like backpacks don't last long?

My son is not really hard on his backpacks, but it seems like they wear out really fast. The only brand that I have found that really lasts is the Jansport bags. I still have MINE from high school. I did have a friend give me an almost new North Face back pack she was getting rid of, I plan to use if for hiking. Was going to let my son have it for school, but he didn't like it.

KTMOM

Asked by KTMOM at 2:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in

• Try the ones from L.L. Bean, I think a little more expensive but last longer.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Just bought an LL Bean Jr. for my son starting kindergarten and plan to upgrade to the regular LL Bean when he needs it for first or second grade. I still have my smaller LL Bean my mom bought me in junior high and my bigger LL Bean I got for high school and college and they are in great shape. I use them for all kinds of stuff like camping and weekend trips to my parents house with the kids etc. Really the ones from LL Bean aren't that much more expensive when you think about the fact that you can use them for several years versus buying a new one every year or more often. My ex's boy was really hard on bags and so one year I got them both LL Beans for Christmas. I just ran into them not too long ago and 8 years later he is still using it as he goes off to college. We had tried Jansport and Nike with him and they only lasted about half the school year.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I agree LL Bean is good! Any time I have tried cheap ones they only last a couple of months. Especially with how hard my son is/was on things!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• This is only my daughter's first year in real school, but my mom is always having to replace my sister's (9) backpack. For the last three years, by Christmas, the straps are worn, holes in the bottom, the handle is broke, zipper is broke. She's hard on them though. Makes Christmas shopping easy though!
    I used the same one all through H.S. (graduated in '01), and it never broke. It's still floating around somewhere.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• my sons NIKE tear drop back pack fro last year still looks brand new. so may be try NIKE
    karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 2:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I had a Jansport that lasted several years. When we went backpack shopping last spring for our oldest, who is hard on backpacks, we bought a LLBean bag. It was expensive, but it will last until he graduates high school at least. It has cool features too. We bought it because he has to lug his tennis shoes back and forth to and from school and this bag has a shoe compartment. It has wide comfy reinforced straps and is large enough to carry a lot of stuff.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Ours last forever. My son used the same Eastern Mountain Sport bag for at least 4 years. Last year we bought Jansport and they are in perfect condition. They even came with a lifetimewarranty.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My kids got Roots backpacks two years ago for back to school, and they lasted two years of wear and tear. I've replaced them this year, but we are still using them at home for sleepovers, they're in pretty good shape still, just a little dingy and worn and probably wouldn't take the abuse of another year of school. But I find that's one item that if you buy cheap, you get cheap.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My kids have always used their backpacks for 2 yrs. before getting a new one. None of their's have ever gotten ripped or torn. Maybe we've just been lucky.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We got a good one for kindergarten. Last year I gave in and let him get one with a character on it instead. It broke before Labor Day and he used the one from kindergarten again all through 1st grade. Definitely worth paying some extra up front to have it last the year (or years).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:56 AM on Aug. 6, 2010