Will it ever return? :(

I gave birth 7 wks ago. Each breast would produce 5 ounces each. My daughter has been hospitalized for the past 14 days. I have another child who I've had to juggle too, taking him to school, cooking meals for him, etc. I've pumped as much as I could in btwn, but I've grown very fatigued and have lost a lot of the milk. It's been reduced to very little. I'm very sad by this, as my goal was to b/f for 6-9 months. What can I do? Is there anything I can do to make the b/m return fully?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• FENUGREEK WILL HELP INCREASE YOUR SUPPLY, ALSO YOU CAN GET YOUR DR. TO PRESCRIBE REGLAN FOR YOU, IT WORKS ALSO.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 9:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Yes! Just pump as much as you can and my dr. told me about some vitamin that started with an F to take, but I can't remember the name. =[ && if you aren't able to get back in the flow of things don't feel guilty for getting out the formula. In the end, I had to and I beat myself up over it.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 7:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• PUMP, PUMP, PUMP. Often. Eat right and drink lots of fluid and pump. Store the little you are getting and then nurse. If it hurts your breasts, bathe them with warm water pat them dry and pick up where you left off. Nurse or pump on the hour for the first two days. This will essentially convince your body that your baby is starving and you will produce. Remember, your body can make as much milk as you can express, provided the nutrients and fluid is there. After the milk is let down, it can take up to a week of this mad milking mania, but your supply will return to better than normal.
    randomsoliloquy

Answer by randomsoliloquy at 8:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• read this
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
    Also don't base supply on pumping you may have more than you think!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I had twins in the NICU for 3 weeks, while I had two other children at home. I was pumping every 3 hours, or as close as I could to it. I was getting an average of 30 oz a day. I was determined to breastfeed my babies so I made time to pump; I felt bad I could not see them as often as I would have liked because of my other children being so young. It still took some time to get latching down because of our seperation. But they are 3 months, and mostly breastfed, only one supplemental a day.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 11:18 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• yes, fennel tea, there is an orgainc tea called "mother's milk" that has all kinds of herbs to help supply healthy milk, and pumping more?
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 2:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Try an herbal supplement with Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek. Also, try eating oatmeal. I found a book called "The Nursing Mother's Companion" by Kathleen Huggins that has also really helped me. Good luck Mama!
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• In addition to all the other suggestions I just wanted to add drink as much water as you possibly can because when you are busy you tend not to drink enough and if you are dehydrated your milk is the first thing that will suffer.
    sixzilliondots

Answer by sixzilliondots at 9:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2008