Target says they are sorry, thoughts?

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Target Corp. is apologizing for a political donation to a conservative group that angered some employees and sparked talk of a customer boycott.

Chairman and Chief Executive Gregg Steinhafel wrote to employees on Thursday to say the company was "genuinely sorry" that the donation upset some employees.

Steinhafel also said Target would set up a review process for future political donations.

Target gave $150,000 to MN Forward, a group that is running ads for a Republican gubernatorial candidate who opposes gay marriage.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The whole problem is that corporations can donate to a candidate. The supreme court decision is only going to make things worse

. Of course they will have more money to give them the average American vote.

Corporations can throw big cash at whomever they want and they will own them.

The whole political system is screwed up.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think they have a right to donate who they want to. Although, maybe since they are a public trade company, they should not choose sides or at least considered the review process before their donation. It doesn't matter either way, had they donated to a Liberal group, they still would have received complaints. Can't please everyone!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• They should probably have a "no politics" approach to donations.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• They can donate to whomever they want. If the group they donated to was known for corruption, endorsing violence, etc~ then I would have concerns... Otherwise, Target is Spineless to apologize. But hell they are big supporter of the made in China/India market just as Wal Mart, so who oppose that AND their contributions? Nonetheless~They were well within their rights to give $$

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Target is a private company, they should be able to donate to whomever they want. If you don't like it, complain and/or stop shopping there. Why shouldn't they be able to donate where they want to? Isn't it a free country?
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 2:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I thought Target was the liberal version of Walmart. Good grief.
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• The people running our country and our corporations are getting stupider and more irritatiing by the second.

It makes sense that corportations make big donations to politicians, not just for the perks but because they are two peas in a stupid pod.

I believe Target also has Dead Peasant insurance policies. D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'm not a fan of lobbying by corporate America, but it is usually done with the company's best interests in mind. I'm betting Target was looking for a profit, not banning gay marriage

BINGO.

And being politically incorrect is financial suicide for a large company.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• "They NEED to apologize for hiring illegal immigrants and hardly paying them"

Are you kidding me?!? Apologize for underpaying illegal immigrants?!? They need to apologize to America for hiring illegal immigrants...PERIOD!

But, back on topic...Target markets to the general public. So, they should NOT be donating to anything that denotes a "side" of anything whatsoever. Especially political views.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Umm, the laugh of hypocrisy is on the consumers who CONTINUE to shop/support and feed the so called 'evil corporation' while demonizing them....  Don't like corporations??  Raise your standards.  Don't give them money. I would be willing to bet, some who cry of the evil ways of 'big corporations' can be seen shopping at many of these stores shortly after payday... Duhhh~Put your money where your mouth is...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010