What has been...

the hardest and most rewarding thing that has happened since you've adopted a child?

EveMomToThree

Asked by EveMomToThree at 2:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Adoption

• Just having her with us. I love having more children. Now, we're saving up to adopt again.
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Hardest was realizing that because they were older that many of the things that made them who they are was already deeply engrained in them.

The most rewarding was hearing them call me mommy which still touches my heart today.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• The hardest thing with my oldest was seeing a wonderful, happy open adoption change (hopefully just temporarily). With my youngest, the hardest thing is wanting more contact with his birth family and not having it. The most rewarding thing is the hugs and hearing "I love you".
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• The hardest part is not knowing the exact health issue going on and not having a treatment plan to solve the eating issues resulting from the health issues. The most rewarding thing: well, right now I have a child in the next room over, giggling, playing with his dad, laughing so hard and doing karate chops. The best thing is just being a family. And now I have to go clean up the pee on the bathroom floor because some little critter does not get to aim south every single time.....motherhood - ain't it grand all the time?
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• The death of my husband. My children (sibs) had already been through so much when they came to me (much abuse and neglect), We had worked so hard to make up for lost ground in social and academic skills and they were doing wonderfully. For them to experience another loss of this magnitude was terribly hard on our family.

Oddly enough, this also had the most rewarding consequences. They have learned how to overcome grief and loss and pain. They have learned how to come together as a family. They have learned to be responsible helping members of a team. They have both empathy and sympathy for others experiencing loss.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 9:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i havent yet but im excited
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010