Will it ever return?

I gave birth 7 wks ago. Each breast would produce 5 ounces each. My daughter has been hospitalized for the past 14 days. I have another child who I've had to juggle too, taking him to school, cooking meals for him, etc. I've pumped as much as I could in btwn, but I've grown very fatigued and have lost a lot of the milk. It's been reduced to very little. I'm very sad by this, as my goal was to b/f for 6-9 months. What can I do? Is there anything I can do to make the b/m return fully?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Kids' Health

• It's a supply and demand thing. Your body makes as much as your baby needs. Pumping doesn't take care of it like actual breastfeeding, so chances are that as long as you're producing milk, your supply will come back once your daughter starts eating from you again.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i would say that it will as soon as you start b/f again!!! your body will realize that you aren't producing enough and will start again!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
    tater1908

Answer by tater1908 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Breastfeed as often as possible. It most likely will come back. I was in a similar situation where I had to be hospitalized when my baby was 5 weeks. I pumped at the hospital, but it's just not the same and my milk supply decreased dramatically. I nursed as often as possible when I was able and it came back full force. I then nursed until he was 18 months old. Best wishes! Oh- if it doesn't work, please don't beat yourself up! But give it a try.
    Anonymous