Self Weaning??

I'm just confused about something I read on the other bf'ing post.
I saw some moms saying their babys 'self weaned' at 6-7 months. Is this really possible? I'm not bashing I just don't understand how that works.
I mean because they need breast milk or formula untill 12 months, so obviously if they quit nursing they switched to formula. And a baby who has never had formula wouldn't just say 'hey mom I want formula now'
Am I missing something?

My dd lost interest at 15 months and I thought that was very early for a baby to just say no thanks.

[AGAIN, not bashing, just genuinely curious]

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 2:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My son weaned at 14 months -- I'd offer, he would shake his head. He was a busy boy and had better things to do!! I think some babies lose interest or flat out refuse the breast, preferring a bottle instead.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Hmmm, don't know. Mine self weaned at 13 months, I was pretty bummed:(
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I was thinking the same thing! I don't think it's possible for a child who has never had a bottle to self ween at 7 months, but a child who is on the bottle while mom works or something could possibly self ween from the breast? I don't know though.. my Dd wouldn't give up her favorite food supply that early!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 2:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think the baby either slows down a bit or is on a nursing strike which can be overcome and they just aren't educated enough to fix it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My son had both bottles and the breast right from the start. I went back to work at 3 months, so he would nurse at night and morning and have bottles of formula in the day. When he was 8 months we were on vacation and he totally refused the breast. He acted like I was trying to shove a raw onion in his mouth he was so repulsed. And that was that, he never nursed again. He self weaned.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No. It is not. That, my friend, is a nursing strike which is developmentally normal- and the age at which a lot of FF parents introduce a cup as well. Unfortunately, most parents are not aware of the difference between self weaning, and nursing strikes- which are NOT the same. Even worse, a lot of LCs do not provide accurate info on the topic either.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think it depends on the child and the situation. With my oldest we had to supplement, I couldn't produce enough milk. While he didn't self wean that early, he could have... For moms who have to use a bottle for one reason or another or who work and have to have others feed their child, it gives the child more options and they can easily prefer the bottle to the breast. Mine did not, but I had a son the refused a bottle, so I can see how they could refuse a breast... My lil one would actually prefer being hungry over using a bottle - although the most he ever went was 6 hours w/o eating cause I was generally home full time. But had he gone the other way and refused the breast it could have worked the other way around.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My DD lost interest around 7-8 months. She would just start turning her head away when I tried to nurse, she would try to wriggle off my lap, or she would bite me which was obviously unpleasant. Anyway, this coincided with her learning to crawl and becoming mobile so she was not inclined to sit still, and it also coincided with starting day care where she was receiving bottles. I think she discovered she could get the milk more quickly and in varying locations from a bottle. I am sure she would not have starved herself over not breast feeding but it became a struggle and for the first time I would cry and get frustrated when trying to nurse so I just had to let it go eventually. I actually freaked out and tried to relactate after a week or so but then a few weeks later I just accepted that my nursing days were over, at least until another baby comes along.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• There are a lot of explanations for this. Sometimes it's a 'nursing strike' where it might not have been a permanent desire to stop but mom interprets it as one. Sometimes it could be related to supply- if a new pregnancy or a lot of pumping as opposed to nursing if a mom returns to work could lead to the baby refusing the breast out of frustration (I went through this with my middle child- although I managed to keep her nursing she went on frequent nursing strike because she was a 'lazy feeder'- if letdown was not quick enough for her she was just not even gonna latch on. I took fenugreek for ages not because I actually had low supply, but because she thought I had low supply!)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My son self-weaned at 6 months shortly after i returned to work. I desperately wanted to continue nursing and went to La Leche Leauge meetings, got a suplemental nursing system to try and get him back on track...nothing i tried worked.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010