When you had your wisdom teeth extracted, how long did it take to heal?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 2:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Health

• i had all four taken out, about a week for each one. if he takes out 2 at a time, its more painful but kills time.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It was about a week recovery time for me. I had mine out at 19 before they ever surfaced, and two hadn't developed full roots yet.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I had no pain past the first day.
    It was a week before I could get the stitches out.

The worst part was having to eat soft stuff for a whole week. I couldn't wait to eat real food again.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 2:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Oh yeah, I had all 4 out at once.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 2:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Man, I am almost in tears, and no doubt will need antibiotics- It hurts SOOO bad!! The one which has erupted is flipping horrible! The other one on my lower jaw is painful as well, but this is INSANE!!! I think it's becoming abscessed.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I had to have them cut out, since they were both sideways. I only had the bottom two taken out, I never grew the top two.
    It hurt like a bitch that first few days. The dentist that took them out gave me a prescription for painkillers and antibiotic to prevent infection, so luckily nothing happened. It stopped hurting, just went down to a dull ache after about 3 or 4 days, then it was just tender if touched.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I had all four out at the same time, it took about a week for me to feel normal again and be back to eating normal food. It doesn't really hurt, it's more of an annoyance. They will give you pain pills to deal with any pain, anyway.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It took about a week for the swelling and bruising to go away. It hurt. I hope you get better.
    goldilocks70

Answer by goldilocks70 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I had it done on a Friday morning and was back at work and off of pain meds by Monday. After the first couple of days it was really only an issue when I ate. I think the eating issues were over within 2 weeks.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Mine took FOREVER. Word to the wise - they tell you not to smoke or use straws for a reason. There is no pain that is even close to comparing to the pain of a dry socket.

OP - swish around some salt water, use an OTC numbing agent and ibuprofen. These are the best things you can do for dental pain. The numbing agent will help with the sensitivity in your gums and the ibuprofen will reduce the inflammation in the tissue. The salt water (use sea salt, it's better) will help disinfect. You can also make a mild debridement liquid by mixing a couple of tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide in some warm water. Hydrogen peroxide is very safe, so the amounts aren't important, but it will kill all the bacteria in your mouth, so it will be useful in preventing infection until you can see your dentist.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 2:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2010