Will it ever return?

I gave birth 7 wks ago. Each breast would produce 5 ounces each. My daughter has been hospitalized for the past 14 days. I have another child who I've had to juggle too, taking him to school, cooking meals for him, etc. I've pumped as much as I could in btwn, but I've grown very fatigued and have lost a lot of the milk. It's been reduced to very little. I'm very sad by this, as my goal was to b/f for 6-9 months. What can I do? Is there anything I can do to make the b/m return fully?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Health

• I would continue pumping but also find out from the nurses at the hospital if it's possible for you to be there to nurse her when she needs to and try and go at least once a day. I would freeze what you pump and make sure you stay stimulated as that is what makes the breasts produce more. One thing is to take a hot shower and then pump as soon as you get out. That helped me, the hot water created the let down process faster.
    Anonymous

• Pump as much as you can and it will help you to boost your milk supply. I know there are drugs you can take if you want to go that far, but don't let anyone pressure you. Try to keep at least some milk because when your baby comes home the actual nursing does a lot more for your supply than pumping. Good luck!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I agree pump as much as you can. When your daughter comes home she will start nursing again and then your milk supply will start to come in based on what she needs.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Drink a beer every day and pump. No need to dump though. Beer stimulates production of breast milk. Don't ask me why though...........
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2008