38 weeks with second baby. Will this labor/delivery be easier even tho she is going to be bigger?

Hi all,

I have a few questions. Has anyone had an experience where their second baby came faster, easier, or is it hit or miss? Also, I am getting a tad nervous b/c I just can't remember what contractions feel like! Anyone else in this boat? I just wonder how and when this one will come. Will it start off slow like the first or come with a vengence....Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My second baby was a bit bigger than my first and she came quicker :) 4 pushes! But I think every pregnancy and every woman is different.

Drs' will tell you though that generally speaking second deliveries are quicker, most of the time.

I remember contractions! They felt like period cramps on steriods to me!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• for me it was easier. Not all second births are though. How do you know she is going to be bigger?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My second was about a pound and a half bigger and he came faster and easier then dd. Less pushing second time around..good luck mama!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Second baby was a thousand times easier!!
    And she was bigger (10-pounds), and came later (somewhere around 41-43 weeks), and no tearing like the first.
    Labor was more subtle and warming up started weeks prior. MUCH kinder!

Good lucK!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My water broke with both my kids and progression was slow with both of them. My daughter, I was in labor for 24 hrs from when my water broke until I delivered her. I pushed for 20 minutes with her. I had to be induced because I wasn't having any contractions. My son, I was in labor for 10 hrs from when my water broke until I delivered him. With him, I only did like three pushes and he was out. I didn't have to be induced with him. So it was definitely faster and easier with my second and he was bigger. DD was 5 weeks early and 5lbs 5oz. DS was 1 1/2 weeks early and he was 7lbs 13oz.
    talestra

Answer by talestra at 2:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Mine was, but everyone is different and every pregnancy is different. So no one can really give you a straight answer.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• They say the second is easier cause your body is much more experienced, as are you.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Every woman and every pregnancy is different so it's impossible to tell.

There are a few things that you can work on to help labor be faster and less painful. Position of the baby has a lot to do with pain and speed. Spend some time on your hands and knees and sway your tailbone back and forth. This can help put baby in a favorable position. Another thing that can slow labor down is if mom is stressed/tense. So start practicing now how you're going to breathe and relax. You body will work better if you let it do it's job and not fight against it by tensing up.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My second baby came much faster and was much bigger!
    1st--labor 4 days (in the hospital 14.4 hrs before he was born)---8lbs
    2nd--labor 3.5 hrs start to finish---10.2lbs!

Oh and about the contractions, as soon as my 2nd labor started it immediately came back to me and I was scared to death lol! Luckily it went fast. Hopefully yours will come fast too :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 3:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2010