Is this pump sufficient?

Ok here's a general overview of how often I may be pumping. I am starting up a photography studio and book fairly regularly although my sessions (except for weddings) rarely last more than a couple hours. I am also thinking about getting something part time for work after the new year and would plan on working approximately 20hrs a week max. 8hrs Sat/Sun and a 4 hr week night shift. Also once in awhile for a night out or so my hubby can feed the baby.

I was looking at double electric pumps cause well they just seem to be the best. BUT would a single electric pump work well enough for what I am needing?

I was looking at a double electric Ameda that is something like $150. Then I found a single electric Medela for $65. Obviously I would prefer to spend less if I can. Also is it ok to pump one breast while the baby nurses on the other if he doesn't mind the sound or is that not ok?

kfroz0415

Asked by kfroz0415 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• MYO I would go with Ameda it has good reviews....I have used medela and after a yr it gave up on me and cs was not that very helpful. I managed to get by but if I get preg again I will go with Ameda.
    I worked full time and during that time I used a dlb electric pump it is so much better vs single for one thing you get it done quicker and get back to whaterver you were doing as for me I only had 15-20mins to pump and I pumped every 4hrs so it is handy to go with double ohhh and when I wasn't pumping I would bf my baby and then go pump after wards.
    Pumping will coming handy cause other family members can help in feeding the baby.

need any help support feel free to contact me.
    Joey07

Answer by Joey07 at 5:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would definitely go with a double electric pump. Otherwise it will take you twice as long, since you should be pumping on both sides. You can find practically brand new ones on Craigslist, and many times, your health insurance will cover the cost of a double electric.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• For double or single, it really depends on how good you get at pumping and how often you are going to use it. I have a friend who pumped exclusively (her son never latched properly) and for the first month and a half, she used the Medela single manual pump. Amazing, really. At the end of the first month and a half, she even had more than 20 bags of milk in her freezer. When she went back to work, she switched to a Pump in Style because it was faster and more convenient.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would always go for a Medela over any other pump. They make awesome pumps. Even their cheap manual pumps are far superior to other brands.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Thank you for your answer, but right now I am more concerned about whether or not a single pump will be enough or if I am most likely going to need to use a double.
    kfroz0415

Comment by kfroz0415 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• And I agree with Julie, Medela is the way to go!! I would never use any other brand.
    MommaofH2

• Unfortunately my insurance will not cover anything pregnancy related including pumps.
    I could rent from the hospital but at $25/month for at least a year. No thanks. lol
    WIC will loan and rent their pumps more cheaply than the hospital but you have to either have twins (just one baby in there lol), or work at least 35 hrs a week which isn't in the cards for me since my studio is in my garage and I'm not going to move to a separate site for another few years...

So I have to buy my pump no matter what, but thank you for the tip. :) I was figuring I would need a double, but just wanted to see what some other moms thought.
    kfroz0415

Comment by kfroz0415 (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Julie - Your friend is super woman! My wrists and fingers hurt just thinking about squeezing the pump that much... wow. I have heard a lot of good things about the Pump In Style and I think they even had it at Target... I may have to look into it...
    kfroz0415

Comment by kfroz0415 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• She said her Harmony pump (the single manual) really wasn't that hard to use and didn't hurt her hand. I used to have an Avent manual pump and I think my hand would have fallen off if I had tried it.
    You can find some great deals on the Pump in Style online if you shop around.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You really tend to get what you pay for with pumps. FYI Ameda has just as good of a reputation as Medela, it is just less well known and not as widely available.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2010