strong-willed one year old

Our 12 month old baby has never liked the car...though she is much better than when she was an infant. She has periods where she can entertain herself but then she begins fussing...I put music on, sing to her, etc, and that helps somewhat. She is in the Britax car seat and since she's not yet 20 lbs, it's still rear-facing. Maybe once it's forward facing, she'll be happier. She also has never enjoyed being in the stroller and it's a matter of minutes before she wants to be held. I'm not sure whether she isn't comfortable, or if she just doesn't like being restrained.
So, for all the moms out there who also have a baby like this, how do you manage? I find that outings like the mall or park become stressful because she wants to be held, and car rides are not fun. I embrace my baby's temperament but these two issues are frustrating and I'm wondering when she'll grow out of them. Anyone else been there?

onefootforward

Asked by onefootforward at 3:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is very strong willed and like your child, always fussed unless held -Car rides very much improved once forward facing - although he's 2-1/2 and anything over a 45 minute car ride is miserable and the crying starts, he still gets very over stimulated in crowded situations - so outings like rehearsals for my niece are still a struggle and trips to the zoo where he should be in a stroller don't work but him pushing the stroller helps :) I don't have words of advice but well, you aren't alone :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We have one like this and it is pure hard ache. It has gotten better, but on long trips it is aweful, some people just don't like to travel, home body. Things did improve once the forward facing seat was used, but had to be entertained too much. Even now I have to make sure I have lots packed. It was horrible trips to the mall, grocery store, around the corner were not and still are not enjoyable.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My daughter was like this. She was always happy when we wore her, either in a front carrier or baby backpack. She really hated being in the stroller

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2010