My 6 year old son didn't learn anything in kindergarten--nothing not even how to spell his own last name

My 6 year old son didn't learn anything in kindergarten--nothing not even how to spell his own last name---I kid you not--- i figure the kids learn everything they need to know at school, my older DD did. But the last 9 weeks of school last year his teacher said he was hard to teach and didn't listen all year, well the last 9 weeks was not the time to bring it up!! So know I have a 6 year old going into 1st grade who cannot read or write his last name, he is going to be 7 in oct. he cannot go into Kindergarten again.

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 3:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• why havent you worked on it with him?
    justinsmommie09

Answer by justinsmommie09 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Have you been working with him this summer? What about some additional classes? Did you ask the teacher throughout the year how he was doing? I'd spend an hour a day with him, I bet he'll improve a great deal. School is important, obviously, but that's not the only place they need to learn.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Do you work with him at home? Even if your children attend public school, their education is ultimately your responsibility. It would have been nice if the teacher would have contacted you regarding the problem sooner though.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'm sorry...but you didn't notice the whole year the he wasn't learning?...Parent's need to advocate for their children...school does not teach children everything they need to know...While the teacher is not off the hook, I put you on it. This year talk to the teacher about your concerns, they have programs that can help children that are a little behind.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Learning isn't the sole responsibility of the school system. In fact, the majority of the responsibility for a child's learning lies with the parents.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Kindergarten is generally what? Two and a half or three hours? Do you expect the teacher to teach these kids everything they need to know in that short amount of time with no support from the parents? I worked with my kids so when my oldest started kinder at 5 years old, he was already reading fairly well, knew his name and how to spell it, knew his phone number. My youngest just turned 5 and will be starting kinder this year. We've already taught him how to spell his name and we're working on reading and learning the different states. Teachers are great but they can't work magic. We as parents have to be proactive and fill in the gaps so our kids keep up with their peers.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Try Huntington Learning Centers. Or Sylvan. Work with her every night. Write letters on the chalk board. Make it fun, but keep at it, it's important!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Hold him back. As a parent you can do this. Why didn't you work with your son? We as parents shouldn't rely on schools to teach our children everything, but work together.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I just figured this out today, I wrote him a note that said---"find it in my room it is blue", and he could not read it, so I said what can you write/read, how do you spell you last name and he couldn't do it---I was so shocked, i couldn't speak
    blue_glass_mama

Comment by blue_glass_mama (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Maybe he's just gotten rusty over the summer..Keep working with him.. He'll get it
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010