My twins are almost 2 months old and I am debating on whether to start them on a little bit of cereal to keep them full. Does anyone have any feedback for me on this? Thank you!

motheroftwo0619

Asked by motheroftwo0619 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess I'm wondering when the whole "wait until 4-6 months" rule came about. Our moms gave us cereal at yound ages and we're fine, right? I'm still so unsure about what to do.There is actually a reason to believe there is a link between early introduction of solids and IBS which trust me is a nightmare that I suffer from. I will spare you the icky details, but man it sucks.

My son was preemie (I bet with twins they were a bit early too) and my doctor's were adamant that 4 months should be the earliest we add anything to his diet because his stomach was so small that adding cereal may actually just stretch his stomach and make him hungrier in the long run. If I were you I would just wait because it's quite possible babies have hit a growth spurt and seem hungrier than usual for now.

kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• too early, especially if they were born a bit early like most twins, their little bellies won't be able to handle it yet.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Don't introduce anything into their diets til a MINIMUM of 6 months. Skip cereal altogether. It's not even food. It's flakes of fake iron. You don't want to "keep" them full. Babies are meant to eat frequently. Its healhieat and safest to wait til late in their first year.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Are you're sure everyone is "fine"? How many people have IBS, stomach issues, obesity? Can you say for sure it either is or isn't cause by being fed before our guts are mature. No, so why risk it.

We didn't ride in carseats, our parents were given canned milk to drink, there also were kids put to sleep on bellies and many other things that happened back then that don't now.

If you choose to do it because "everyone is fine"...go ahead. I don't think the so called benefit outweighs the risk.

Their tummies are immature and they have open gut. Formula is also a bad thing for that, but, happens anyway. Cereal is filler and makes babies gassy. It doesn't help. It only fills up and takes space that their milk should be taking. Food before one is strictly for fun anyway. If they are hungry, give them more breastmilk or formula. Not filler fluff.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• "when we were young our mom's did it and we are fine" isn't a good reason for things anymore.. think of the amount of knowledge and technology out there - you have tons of resources to go to find the most updated and learned information about babies and kids - don't rely on what your mother did for you anymore - they are doing what their mothers knew to do and now you have dated information back 60 years...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Cereal is just a filler and SHOULDN'T be given at all. It is given however just cause it's popular and what peoe are used to. It wont expire for a while, it comes in an easy to pour box, and it's mushy. So people say "Here's something convenient I can give my baby." There's also the myth that it'll make babies sleep longer (not a good reason to start either) and the producers marketing tell parents it's healthy. If you're gonna feed babies, it should at least be real food and when their digestive systems are ready.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Cereal to keep them full doesn't work. It's a lot of hassle for no benefit.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 3:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• IMO, it's way too early.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Too early IMO also -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My pediatrician told me not before 4 months, so I waited. I know my sister gave all of her children cereal by 2 months, and I don't know that it caused any problems. I just feel better following the rules.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010