Pianos and keyboards?

If you child takes piano but all they have at home is a keyboard is it really the same?

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 3:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• They are not the same. Some digital pianos are getting there though. The biggest difference you see is weighted keys. a piano has them, keyboards do not. the weighted keys affect how loud/soft a sound is produced. Without the weighted keys, the music ends up pretty monotonous in volume.

I have taught students who have a piano and students who use a keyboard. It depends on what you want your child to gain. If it is the ability to read music, be familiar with musical terminology, and to teach them to focus and work hard toward a goal, then a keyboard will not be detrimental to their goal.

But if you want a well-trained classical pianist, you can not achieve that on a keyboard.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 3:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No, but it is the next best thing.

Answer by older at 3:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My kids never took piano. But, the kids I nanny use an electronic keyboard for practicing and lessons. But for recitals, they use a full piano. Learning on an electronic keyboard is easier for a younger child as the keys are smaller for their hands and reaching the chords with their fingers.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I agree with older. Do you have a church near you that you could use their piano for practice? I would look on Freecycle for a piano, most people give them away because they are very difficult to move. I know, I have a baby grand piano and it takes up my entire living room.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 3:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Now, you may be able to find a keyboard with a similar feel as a piano, but I think they are probably still at least a little different. When I took piano lessons many years ago, they were not the same at all. Have you already found a teacher? If so, ask him/her about it and what keyboard(s) are recommended.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No, but it's better than nothing. We don't have room for a full size piano at the moment, so we only have a keyboard, which we bought from his piano teacher.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• WE HAVE A DIGITAL PIANO. OUR PIANO TEACHER HAS A BABY GRAND PIANO. THEY FEEL THE SAME. SO I SAY THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. SOME KEYBOARDS HAVE WEIGHTED KEYS THAT FEEL LIKE THE "REAL THING".
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 6:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If you do decide to get a keyboard, do your child a favor and get one with real piano-sized keys. This is really important because you learn to play by touch, and your fingers get used to the keys you practice on. If your child ever goes from a keyboard with smaller keys to a real piano, it will be a hard transition. It's just like if someone changed the size of your computer keyboard...you would be clumsy and make lots of mistakes. Easier to just always keep him on a keyboard with full-sized keys.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:47 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I was really just wondering. He might take lessons when he is older but no time soon.
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2010