pooping during nap help. 13months

What am I supposed to do? He is refusing his first nap, so the second one (I start at 12) and he poops every single time, and won't go back to sleep. Yesterday it was only after 30 min, and today it was after 45 min. He was up all night last because he was over tired. HELP!!!

ashleybgarcia

Asked by ashleybgarcia at 3:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried moving naptime? Maybe wait for him to poop, then change him and put him down? Or can you change him quickly and quietly, and lay him back down?
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I suggest moving naptime to a later time. Keep him active all morning with proper meals and then put him down for a nap at 1-2 pm. This might help him get a proper nap and go to bed at a decent time at night.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• + 2 to change naptime.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 3:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If you know what time he goes, then adjust his naptime to accomodate the situation. Otherwise, you'll just keep going through the same thing. You can change his naptime. You can't change his body's time of elimination. Unless, you adjust the time you feed him. That will change the time he goes.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Wait until he poops, then go down for nap.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• As far as the pooping, I would try waiting until later to put him down for a nap. However with just quitting the first nap, and the second nap being his only one, it might be worth it to try putting him down earlier. When my kids first went down to one nap, they had to go down at 11 a.m. and I slowly moved it to noon and then 1 p.m. My 20 month old is still going down for a nap around noon. We just eat an early lunch.

Either way, I would try switching the nap time - earlier or later. Whatever ends up working. Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have a 13 mo old too and I wait until after she poops to put her down for a nap, because she just won't nap well until she does!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If you give your little one juice, do it in the morning after breakfast. I give my son V8 to sneak in some veggies and it makes him poop every time haha! You might want to mix some water in at first so it doesn't hurt his tummy. Gradually use less water (or don't if it's doing the job with water) until it's working for you. This isn't to be used just to make him go or anything, it's very good for them and it just so happens to move things along sometimes. :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 6:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Does the pooping wake him, or do you wake him to change the diaper?

Never wake a sleeping baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:59 AM on Aug. 6, 2010