suppository question

The doctor told me to give my 2 month old 1/2 a suppository. We did and it worked with in 2 minutes but she was pushing so hard she threw up *2x out her nose and mouth* anyone else ever have this happen? is this normal???

beccan

Asked by beccan at 3:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my baby was always having poo problems. i have been giving her those since she was about 4 weeks old. recently (she is 22 months now) i started giving her merilax and that really helps. she goes fairly often now. after a while she will begine to get scared of anything going around her bottom if you give her the suppositorys very often. i would recomind talking to your doc about the merilax. you put it in her milk or water and they drink it. after a few times, my daughter has gotten pretty regular. this sucks, i know. it is hard to see your baby hurt. my daughter didnt poop for 3 weeks when she was a tiny new born. her tummy was all puffed out and she would screan if i put her in her car seat. i think because bending hurt her tummy! then i did the suppository for the first time, she went everywhere!! i cried! good luck, i hope this helps. : (
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 3:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes very common. I put a drip of Karo Syrup in my kids bottles,  you just use a tiny amount and works great. I'm sure this isn't advised anymore by doctors for one reason or another, but it works.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• poor baby :o( this is the 1st baby i've had to do a suppository on (and she is #6) did she ever throw up when you gave her the suppository?? i cried when i had to do it :o( i told my husband i feel so wrong for doing this to her but iknow it will help (sry for any typos she is on my lap smacking me)
    beccan

Comment by beccan (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My son had the same problems. he never threw up from pushing so hard however after using those, they stopped working also and I used miralax also and it was amazing for him - now that he's almost 3 and I went to a dietician for him, we make sure to have at least 7 grams a fiber and he will go, otherwise he will stay constipated.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I used them regularly on my last babe and never had that happen.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• ty ryansmom001... she is breastfeed and doesn't use a bottle but i'll mix it up w/ pumped milk and do a dropper anything to help her. what kind of karo syrup?? there are 2 kinds right?

ty all for answering...
    beccan

Comment by beccan (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Do NOT USE KARO. It is a health risk, as it may contain botulism, which can be deadly in infants.

Many doctors still recommend the corn syrup for constipation, but this is a practice we would like to see stopped. The reason is, in recent years, studies have shown that corn syrup *can* harbor botulism spores, which are a deadly toxin produced by bacteria. While adult immune systems may be able to handle the minute amounts that could be present, a baby would be at a very increased risk.

Stick with what your doctor told you to do.  Have you tried an elimination diet to help with possible problems from dairy or something else?

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 4:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• was the poop hard and dry like pebbles?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have to use suppositories on my 7 month old sometimes, and while she hates it she has never thrown up. Your little one just might have gotten an upset tummy from it, it doesn't happen often, but it's possible. Also 2 months old is too young for miralax, and dark karo corn syrup is effective, but just like honey and maple syrup it can contain botulism spores, so not a good idea. I have yet to find anything that works for my dd except the suppositories, so if you find something, let me know! Good luck :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Had to use suppository once 9Dr. recommended). Man did it work!! My son does throw up on occasion when he's pooping. Never seen it come out the nose though. Sounds pretty normal though. Lots to get out!! If it's been a day (b/c he's pretty regular), we have a good dose of pureed blueberries or prunes and that takes care of the hold up, though it takes a bit.
    JRB101009

Answer by JRB101009 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010