Do you spay or neuter your pets? Why do or don't you?

Just curious of the general opinion......

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 4:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pets

• All 4 of my dogs are fixed, the 2 cats are fixed, the rabbit is fixed and all of the parrots are in separte cages so that they will not breed. There are too many unwanted animals in this world to allow more to be born. I am a foster for a rescue and see way too many pets that need homes. Why make more animals when there are not enough homes for the ones that are here.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Absolutely! I don't want them breeding...there are too many animals being put down in shelters as it is. I have never had one of my pets reproduce and I am proud of that :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I spay and neuter all my pets. I also get my neighbors to allow me to spay and neuter their pets. I do it because I do not want to unwanted kittens and puppies that will roam the neighborhood searching for food, not getting their vaccinations and get hit by cars. It is only humane to control the population of animals. Pushes soap box back into the corner. Thanks.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 4:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I took care of a stray cat who wasnt fixed and she had babies after babies after babies. She was wore out. She has been fixed and lives at my friend's moms house, doing well. Spraying and neutering isnt cruel. It controls the population and controls the spread of feline diseases. I have an indoor cat and he is fixed. The cats I grew up with were also fixed.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We had to neuter our dog because he was having....issues lol. I would anyway especially if it were female. I couldn't handle taking care of a dog in heat!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• we spayed both are cats but that was just because we didn't want kittens
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes. I wasn't going to breed them, and indoor cats are much easier to live with if they are.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes, because even though I have had papered dogs, I didn't plan on breeding them. So, we took care of that when they were 6 mos. old.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'm a huge advocate for spaying and neutering your pets. Not only does it prevent millions of unwanted pets every year it's scientifically proven to have health benefits for your pets. It's really a win/win.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 4:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We have 2 indoor cats...one male and one female...both of which were fixed as soon as they were "of age" lol (6 months old). With our girl, it was 1-to not have more kitties 2-to not have make cats trying to break into the house when/if she went into heat and 3-to not have any of those horny boy kitties looking to get some booty get killed(there are a lot of dogs running loose that kill cats). And for our little boy, we had it done because 1-the smell of his urine was unbearable, 2-to keep him from "spraying" and 3-in case he ever got out, he wouldn't reproduce and leave some more orphan kitties in the neighborhood.
    I think getting them fixed is the right thing to do...especially here(in Puerto Rico) where we have a severe epidemic of abandoned animals and no shelters. It's sad to see so many animals on the street getting killed and starving.
    jazi1105

Answer by jazi1105 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010