How do I get my DD to eat enough at dinner time so she doesn't get hungry at 9 pm?

She doesn't eat much at dinner time but then at 9 or 10 she is hungry again... any suggestions?

allfiller

Asked by allfiller at 4:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why is a preschooler up at 9 or 10?
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 4:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• what tiem is dinner? My dd needs a littel something every 3 hours. I would limit snacking before dinner and make snacks healthy so they are an extension of the meal. A little snack before bedtime should be ok if it is healthy.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Don't wait for her to get hungry again.About an hour or two after dinner, offer her a healthy snack and a glass of milk or somthing like that. Her tummy can't hold as much food as an adult tummy can so they eat more often. Hope this helps! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• First of all...she should not even be awake at 9-10 to get hungry,
    Second, you are allowing her to make the rules and then you follow her commands. That is BACKWARDS!!!

You tell her, if you are finished that is fine, BUT there will be no juice, no snacks, no cookies, nothing else to eat until morning. I have used this with both of my children (ages 9 and 2) and trust me, they will only go hungry 1x before they catch on. The tough part is staying strong and not caving in.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 4:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Even if my boys eat a lot at dinner they are hungry again before bed. They just always get a bedtime snack.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 4:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't give my children snacks after dinner. They eat at mealtimes and go to sleep at bedtime. If they choose not to eat, then they will be hungry. I agree, a preschooler should be in bed long before then.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Get her to eat some fruit like a few bananas at 9 pm. This is what my 2 and a half year old does. He eats quite a bit of dinner too but if he is up late will go grab himself some bananas. Easy to digest so won't really interfere with sleep.

I wouldn't try to force her to eat more than she wants to.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Her bedtime is 9 pm. And I don't have it in my to deny a hungry child food... not exactly my parenting style.
    allfiller

Comment by allfiller (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My 6 year old is in bed before then. And how to get her to eat enough dinner? Allow her to feel the results of not eating enough dinner. Children need to learn from experience.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No need to be negative Nancy....who cares as long as her mother is taking care of her, who knows if she gets up (or she is still trying to get her to sleep) around that time BECAUSE she is hungry or she is stalling and using this as an excuse...

Anyway...I would do what Kimberlyinberea said and just give her maybe a piece of toast with a little bit of PB on it and some milk. That should help. When I was little if I couldn't sleep for whatever reason (sometimes at 11 or midnight and probably later! I was a night owl, still am!) my mom would warm up a little bit of milk and put a little bit of honey in it and I would drink it and go to bed. I think I read that if you are hungry instead of eating something, take a teaspoon of honey and it will take care of your hunger because it has just enough sugar in it to take the edge off. It works, try it yourself!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010