Should I let my 6 month old get the flu shot?

My son is 6 months old. At his last CF appt. his Dr. said he wanted my son to get a flu shot. Im not sure I want him to get it due to the fact that it is a weakened virus. I dont take him out anywhere, so he's not around any other infants. My 3 brothers are 13, 11, and 8 so they are around other children and whatever bugs they bring home. Im just very nervous about giving my son the flu shot. What would you do?

KSRoswell

Asked by KSRoswell at 8:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses, but if you need proof why you should not get the vaccine for your baby, I would read this. And especially pay attention to this part: "In children under two, the efficacy of inactivated vaccine was similar to placebo."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18425905

Abqmomof2

Answer by Abqmomof2 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• No.

If you are breastfeeding him you are helping to protect him..
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:41 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I don't get it for my son because he's at home all day, though I might consider it if he went to day care. And I heard a doctor say the other day that they seem to have guessed wrong about which strain would be big this year; I could be wrong, I would research that a bit more before basing your decision on that, but if that's the case then there's not much point.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• IMO, No!
    Anonymous

• I don't for my boy! He has two nieces that were vaccinated on schedule, both have gotten sick numerous times before age 1 year. My little one wa saround them when they were sick, and he is barely 6 months, and he has never gotten sick! So it goes to show you, kids get sick even with vaccinations! And it doesn't mean they will get sick if they don't get vaxed! Besides, if he does get a little sick in the beginning of the year, his immunity is that much stronger than a flu shot! Natural antibodies are MUCH stronger than vaccines!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 1:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• NO WAY. Go here: http://www.nvic.org/Diseases/influenzafacts.htm
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2008