My kid taught himself to play piano, would you get your kid lessons or leave him on his own (it sounds great!)

kerryket

Asked by kerryket at 4:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Get lessons.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Two things come to mind. Is he passionate about it? If so he will only be able to teach himself so much and after that would need instruction to stay on track and motivated. Does he read sheet music or does he play by ear? The benefit of lessons is learning to read the sheet music.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think it depends on the kid.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 4:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Did he teach himself to read music too? If not, then get him lessons, he is obviously talented and reading music is a HUGE key in being AMAZING!

And watch him during those lessons...lol I have an EAR for music too, I can play pretty much anything but I cant read music. B/c when I took lessons I just got someone to play it for me and I would know it without having to read the music.

LOL At the time I thought I was really cool, but now I wish I had learned how to read :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Does he want lessons? Many a parent has spoiled a child enjoyment by making them take lessons. Ask him if he want lessons. If yes then get them if you can afford them and if not...let him enjoy what he's doing.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 4:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• That depends... does he want to take lessons, or does he like the way he plays now. Lessons might turn him off to it having to do it someone else's way. I'd ask the child what he wants to do, and support his choice. ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 4:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Lessons will only be a plus if he is motivated.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• That is awesome. If he is self taught..maybe leave him to it and suggest lessons.

My boyfriend taught himself guitar from 14 and still plays at 26 and is really good.

I think some people prefer being self taught over been taught. I know I am someone who could not have lessons and would need to teach myself...maybe your kid is the same?

So cool though :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My son taught himself to play guitar from age 11. He is 14 and awesome at it. We have not done lessons because that would disrupt his natural talent. He was in band learning drums then french horn so, he can read music. He can read tabs too. My son is passionate, so, I have left it at that. If he wants them later, we might. He is teaching himself keyboard too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Definitely get him lessons. He may not need them, but he can atleast perform his recitals and get recognized by some talent scouts or something.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010