How do you feed a 2 1/2 year old when hes a picky eater?

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Health

• What will he eat? We need more info.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Have you seen Jessica Seinfeld's book? I do not recall the name, but she she sneaks pureed veggies into most of her kids' meals. Google it-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Deceptively Delicious is the name of Jessica's book. I've made some of her recipes for my picky eater.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You make him take a bit of everything on his plate. No exceptions. Our sons were surprised to find they liked many of the foods they "refused" to eat. Remember you're the parent and kids only have power if you give it to them. My sons both sat at the dinner table until bedtime and then the food was reserved at breakfast. Eventually they gave in and took a bite of each item.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 4:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Well there's this really cool cookbook called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. She came up with recipes to sneak in veggies since her kids were picky with that.
    theLiLbunny

Answer by theLiLbunny at 4:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• when my son goes through picky eating phases which is often (lol), I just keep offering healthy foods. I offer them with food he already likes and sometimes he'll give the "new" food a try. If he doesnt like it, I offer it again. Sometimes it takes more than one try to like a food! He also gets a multi vitamin once a day. He's 27 months old.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Don't let him have crappy food. Offer good food every time. Make one good food he will eat and one he won't and have him try a bite. Eventually, he will eat it. He will not starve. They will eat...do not worry.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Have a variety of food when you have your meals and make sure there is one thing that he likes. If that is all he eats, so be it. Have a little of everything available to him, though. Do not get into a battle over it or make him eat anything. Do not cook something just for him if he does not eat. We made the mistake of cooking what my youngest would eat just for him and it was then a slippery slope to having to make him something different than the rest of us ate. Big mistake. And my husband got into many arguments with this child. 2nd big mistake.

Friends of ours did exactly what I suggested and their kids ate a huge variety of food. What mom put out on the table each night was what everyone had to pick from. Good luck to you.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase; they all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed