Has anyone been induced?

I went to the dr just before my 37th week , and found out I had a pretty nasty case of hypertension. The dr put me on bedrest where I've been for over the past week. I have another dr appointment on the 7th and I'm not due until the 19th. They have already scheduled me for an induction because of my blood pressure.
I was told if I'm not dilating at my appointment on the 7th, they will admit me to the hospital around 5-6 p.m. on the 13th, and start me on cervadil which I will stay on over night and then start labor in the morning. If I *am* dilated I will go in the morning of the 14th, where they will strip my membranes, break my water, and start me on pitocin. I've heard that with all of that done in rapid succession and at once, labor is a lot shorter and much more painful.

My question is, has anyone else gone through this? I'd just like an idea of what to expect.

twistidhalo

Asked by twistidhalo at 8:51 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my sister was induced, for no real reason. There reason was becasue she lost her mucus plug. Anyway, it was a horrible experience for her. It took her three days to have her baby after being induced. I mean three whole days of contractions. And then her placenta started dying and they had broken her water. Her baby came out blue all over. It was said. Her baby is alive and well now. But what a horrin;e experience, for no good reason.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I was induced with both of my babies at 39 weeks. No reason at all, except I was ready to have them and the docs were ok with it. They were both smooth and relatively painless, I got the epidural during a contraction so I didn't feel that needle! But from the start of the induction to the birth was approximately 9 hours. Becuase of the epdural I probably slept through most of that, LOL. But a great experience and I can't wait to do it again!

Good Luck to you!
    momofana82

Answer by momofana82 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• When used your chances of uterine ruture are increased drasticly. It is not recommended if you have had a previous c-section. Another effect of this drug is increased possibilty of fetal distress and thus increasing the need for c-sections.
    Forget-me-not

Answer by Forget-me-not at 9:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i was induced at 36 1/2 weeks... for hypertension... i went to my 36 week apt and was dilated 3 cm and had signs of preclamcia... so i went to the labor part of the hospitial and stayed overnight so they could observe.... they sent me home... well i called DH home from military... took about a day and he was there.. we went to the doc a couple of days later and said i was ready to have the baby!!....

well when they striped my membranes and broke my water it didnt hurt much just a lil pressure...what hurt the most was when they were trying to give me the epidual... sitting up for contractions was not comfy... it took them 45 min to get the epidual in... and after that it wasnt so bad... i am sure it would have been different if i wouldnt have gotten the epidual... I ripped from cervix to rectum because they had me sitting all wrong for pushing...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I was induced 6 days before my sons due date. I was in labor for close to 17 hours. Went in at 6 am on the 9th of april. Dr broke my water at 11 am. Started contracting imediatley. Laid there for 17 hours in labor no meds. Had him at 2:10am on the 10th. Good Luck!
    AustynsMomma07

Answer by AustynsMomma07 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I was three and a half weeks late (1984, whoa that was a long time ago) They induced me at 8am, water broke around 3pm, Nick was born at 1:19 am the next day. All back labor, no  until the last 15 min. which whatever they gave me was the best! It helped me relax in between the contractions that never went onto the charts. The end result~ was my beautiful connection, my purpose in life. Good Luck~ Happy Labor Day

feeding baby

NicksMomPOMC

Answer by NicksMomPOMC at 9:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• lol...shorter? Not in my experience. It was quite painful (but I have nothing to compare it to since I've only delivered once), and it took them 2 days to induce me. I had toxemia with the high blood pressure too, and I guess its for the best. She was perfectly happy and healthy.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i was induced... when I went... I was aready dil to 3 and 95% effaced. Fm the time they started until I started pushing it was 26 hrs & then I pushed for 2 hours... 28 hrs later had my beautiful girl.... it was painful for me... but the epidural wouldnt work and Isabelle was face down & up high then moved on my tail bone. I ripped severely... 6th degree... it i remember correctly.

BUT

a couple wks ago my good friend went in dil to 1cm... no effacing yet(same dr) & was induced the same way... I came up there to see her 8 hours after they started
    & she was ready to push. I went to the waiting room and 10-15 minutes later after pushing had her son!! Her epi worked and she said it was wonderful

hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 10:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• cont...

also my SIL has her son after being induced 5 hours later! AND a friend of the family was tellin me all about how wonderful both of her inductions were.... her & my SIL shared pretty much the whole 5 hr experience with no pain at all!!!
    hendrickson

• I was induced @ 36 weeks my dd was showing signs of distress and my blood pressure was uncontrollable .  I have to say my labor was long 27hrs compared to the 7hrs from my first birth. The pain was a lot worst because the poticine was making my contractions closer and I didn't have much of a break in between after I got the epidural it went by really fast because after I got the drugs and couldn't  feel anything they took that opportunityto push the med and spead up the labor my dd came realy fast my Dr almost missed it..lol..My dd is well and happy now just one of those things we have to go through.

poohboo75

Answer by poohboo75 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 5, 2008