What is the best cure for sever adult acne? I have a girlfriend who is suffering miserably and had tried eveything both prescriptions,OTC and homeopathic treatments - from Proactiv to clearasil, Dr. Miracle, apple cider vinegar, to minocycline and other meds. She also has cut back on dairy products and avoids fried and processed food as best she can and has been drinking more water.

Her dermatologist and gyno say it's hormonal but occures daily, not just with her cycle.

luv2laaf

Asked by luv2laaf at 4:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Health

• Has she tried going on the Pill? It helped clear up my skin considerably. Otherwise I have heard of an old wives' tale of putting raw egg yolk on your face (it contains lots of Vitamin A). I've never tried it but sometimes, I am willing to try anything to get my skin to clear up.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Has she been tested for food sensitivities? She should try going gluten free for a few weeks to see if it helps. She should also be using Skincare products that are free from harmful chemicals that will create an endless cycle of acne.

I use Jordan Essentials Gentle face bar & Satin Shea Body Butter

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• How much does she moisturize? Even if she washing her face, she needs to remember that her face needs the mositure, so get a lotion that is made for oily skin. You cant just strip and not expect your skin to replenish, its made to protect it self. I would get a gentle glycerin soap and moisturizer for oil skin.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 5:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Had bad acne when I was a teen. The only thing that cleared it up was the HS pool!! As strange as that sounds the pool always had too much chlorine, turned the blonds green (hehehe); which I think a huge effect to ridding the acne. Might want to try a pool membership somewhere as I don't recommend washing one's face Clorox. But I do use witch hazel every day to help keep my face clear and I use Dove's face wash daily too. Never had much luck with any of the OTC acne removal products.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I was also going to ask if she moisturizes. I had bad, painful acne. I thought I had oily skin. Then read an article how people often think they have oily skin when they actually have dry skin. What happens is the cleansers stip the skin so it dries out and the skin over compensates by producing a ton of oil. I started putting moisturizer on at night (Clinique, other stuff burned because my skin was so bad) and it made a huge difference. I'm not able to use anything else by Clinique because it fries me. Only a gentle cleanser once a day and moisturizer at night is my suggestion
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (like Just Tomatoes or Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• before breakfast start with two teaspoons of brewer'syeast, 1 tablespoon of lecithin granules and 1 tablespoon of cold pressed safflower oil, all mixed in one gass of pure apple juice. Each day add 1 teaspoonof brewer's yeast and lecithin until you are taking 2 tablespoons (6 teaspoons of the yeast and almost the same amount of lecithin granules. The safflower oil stays the same. it is adviseable to do this only under medical supervision and if you can stay near a bathroom.

without knowing which homeopathic ones she has tried I can't recommend. But most "natural" treatments require two weeks or more to work.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I used a medicine from a doctor that helped clear mine up. It was more like an antifungal I believe. Does she have acne on her back as well? Are you sure it's acne and not an allergic reaction? I had some contact skin allergy rashes more then once. I can't remember the medicine, I used it two different times and within like 2 days I knew it was going to work to get rid of my acne. The only time I get acne now is during that time from hormones. Has she been evaluated for like rosacea? Wish I could remember the med I used, but maybe she should see a dermatologist to see what they can do to help her.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010