How can I tell if my child is constipated?

My son wakes up every morning with bad gas and acts like it really hurts him when he passes it. Is it that he's constipated? Is there something I should give him to help him?

tabarker76

Asked by tabarker76 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he doesn't poop for a day or two,he's likely constipated. Infants ideally should be going AT LEAST once a day,best case scenario,after every feeding.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If he doesn't poop. Probably what your son has is just uncomfortable gas.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You don't mention the age of your child. This info was online regarding babies...............When it comes to a baby's bowel movements, there's no "normal" number or schedule — only what's normal for your baby. Your baby may pass a stool after every feeding, or wait a day or more between bowel movements. Her individual pattern depends on what she eats and drinks, how active she is, and how quickly she digests her food and then gets rid of waste.

Call your Dr. and run it by him/her if it is becoming a big concern. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• if he doesn't poop at least once a day i would think he's constipated (or if the poop looks like rabbit pellets haha, round and hard)
    if you think he's constipated then give him some prunes or some apple juice... if its just gas then you can rub his tummy to help it pass
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• The baby I take care of who is on breast milk only has a movement every two days or so. That is what's normal for him. My boys were breastfed and went every day, sometimes twice a day. Depends on the child.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Constipation is hard, difficult to pass stools -- like pebbles or rabbit poop. Breastmilk poop is soft; solids poop should be soft like a banana. In really bad constipation the baby may strain and bleed after passing a hard stool.

A baby that doesn't poop everyday is not necessarily constipated. Some babies just "store up" and "blow up". The longer they go between the more copious amount they pass. A breasfed baby can go up to 10-14 days without a poop and be fine and their pattern isn't consistant. They may go several times a day, every day, every other day, every two days, or drop a gigantic poo bomb once a week unexpectedly! A formula fed baby should go more often, as they tend to have issues with constipation. BUT if the poop is soft and easy to pass.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I came back to finish my reply. Don't know why my answer was voted down. I guess someone doesn't believe that constipation doesn't necessary equal infrequent poops especially in a bfed baby.

http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It is normal for breastfed babies to go a week or more without a bowel movement. You child may have a food sensitivity.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010