playtex drop ins

What kind of nipple should i use for the playtex dropin bottles when adding cereal? My daughters been using the medium flow but it keeps getting clogged.
Thanks!

emilysmom401

Asked by emilysmom401 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• People might bash me for this, but I use sippy cups for that, because the holes are bigger. I make the cereal just thick enough to fit through those, but you have to help her eat it. I treat it like a spoon, i let me son take some, then I take the sippy cup away till he swallows it. But I didnt start that til 5 months old.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• oh and...she has to know the concept of swallowing, or it could be a choking hazard. my son knows how to swallow the food. He is also sitting up on his own. If she doesnt know how to swallow food, I wouldnt give her any cereal yet.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I found some tri flow nipples for the playtex nursers. You do have to get the consistency just right, but I'm pretty sure that no matter which method you use consistency will be important. I never thought to use a sippy cup, good idea. They make a transitional sippy cup that looks like it might work. Trial and error is the name of the game.
    TheWilds

Answer by TheWilds at 9:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I use tri-cut nipples from Playtex. I want to say that on the package it said variable flow. Not 100% positive about that, though. I put 1 tablespoon of cereal per ounce in my son's bottle. We've been doing that for 4 months & we've never had a problem. I have found, though, that not all nipples (even 2 from the same package) have the same size holes. I've had to use a needle to make the holes bigger in some of the nipples. Good luck!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Research provides the answer
    Don't do it.
    5 Reasons Not to Put Cereal in Your Baby's bottle --
    "#1. You can cause your child's allergies. . .
    While no one agrees completely on what it is that actually causes allergies, we do have enough research to see certain connections. One, very well documented connection to serious allergies is when a baby has been exposed to the allergen too early. Putting cereal in your baby's bottle, even rice cereal, can cause allergies.
    #2. Choking hazard
    Some infants do not fully have their swallowing reflex fully developed at birth. Sucking cereal from a bottle can cause a choking hazard. . .and babies have actually died this way. Choking on cereal from a bottle certainly isn't a common cause of death. . .but why do it when it is linked to something like choking?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• #3. Digestive Issues
    There is a connection between babies who have solids too early and digestive problems. The fact of the matter is that baby tummies are designed to take in breast milk. When you can't breastfeed, there's formula which mimics breast milk. Baby tummies are not designed to take in solids, and it's not surprising that they malfunction when forced to do what they're not designed to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• #4. Obesity
    One key factor in obesity is infant feeding. Infants are born with a self regulatory ability to take in only what they need. By feeding on demand and following a baby's cues, you are essentially helping them form habits of eating when hungry and eating until they feel full. This sets them up for a lifetime of healthy eating habits. But when you add cereal to a bottle, it bypasses their system and essentially they take in more calories than they need.
    #5. It Doesn't Work!!!
    There is no scientific evidence to support the notion that baby's sleep better with cereal in their bottles. The truth is, babies are designed to wake frequently at night. Dealing with sleep deprivation is part of the parenting package."
    so please if you love your kids and no one has ever presented this to you Research be for you do something thanks
    Anonymous